I'm buying an iPhone 6

I’m buying an iPhone 6… just because I love RetroArch so much.

Though I hear there’s issues with screen resolution (unsure if that’s 6 as a whole, or only the plus.)

Is there anything I should worry about? Should I wait?

Should I NOT get an iPhone 6 and pick something else?

The M9 with it’s Octacore looks cool, but seems quite gimmicky. Does RetroArch even utilise multiple cores?

I’m not a developer so I can’t tell you the technical details, but I have an iPhone 6 and from personal experience RetroArch seems to run without any major issues. There are some reports that video resolution gets messed up on iPhone 6 Plus. I use ForceGoodFit from Cydia to maximise the Cocoa UI but I’m not sure if it has any impact on the actual video rendering when loading a ROM. ROMs run fine, I can play with an external controller via BTStack, ControllersForAll, or the iCade framework. BTStack connections to Dual Shock 3 controllers sometimes glitch out but this may be an issue with the software rather than the iPhone 6 hardware itself.

It’s recommended that you run RetroArch on TaiG jailbroken iOS 8.1.2 as the Pangu jailbreak for iOS 8.0-8.1 is incompatible with the PSX cores.

I don’t know about RetroArch running on high-end consumer Android devices, but I did test it on an octa-core (MTK 6592) test Android phone and it ran without a hitch for most 2D games. I think N64 had issues but this may be a CPU incompatibility.

As for multiple cores, RetroArch runs significantly smoother on the dual-core A5 CPU than the single-core A4. I don’t know if it’s due to added support or if the CPU is simply running it faster.

[QUOTE=NekoMichi;23877]I’m not a developer so I can’t tell you the technical details, but I have an iPhone 6 and from personal experience RetroArch seems to run without any major issues. There are some reports that video resolution gets messed up on iPhone 6 Plus. I use ForceGoodFit from Cydia to maximise the Cocoa UI but I’m not sure if it has any impact on the actual video rendering when loading a ROM. ROMs run fine, I can play with an external controller via BTStack, ControllersForAll, or the iCade framework. BTStack connections to Dual Shock 3 controllers sometimes glitch out but this may be an issue with the software rather than the iPhone 6 hardware itself.

It’s recommended that you run RetroArch on TaiG jailbroken iOS 8.1.2 as the Pangu jailbreak for iOS 8.0-8.1 is incompatible with the PSX cores.

I don’t know about RetroArch running on high-end consumer Android devices, but I did test it on an octa-core (MTK 6592) test Android phone and it ran without a hitch for most 2D games. I think N64 had issues but this may be a CPU incompatibility.

As for multiple cores, RetroArch runs significantly smoother on the dual-core A5 CPU than the single-core A4. I don’t know if it’s due to added support or if the CPU is simply running it faster.[/QUOTE]

Well as far as I’m aware, one core’s running iOS and the other core’s running everything else. So in my understanding a 4 running at 1GHz single will be incredibly laggy vs a 4S with 800MHz dualcore.

I just can’t help but wonder how it’d work out on an Octocore, perhaps RetroArch is sitting all in one core… unsure.

P.S. I believe it’s BTStack, as it’s with my iPhone 4S as well, it’s rather messy and I get annoyed… is there an alternative for PS3 remotes? You said ControllersForAll and iCade Framework … are these alternatives that are compatible? Or just examples? Which one would be best to switch to?

Trust me, the iPhone 6 works wonderfully with PS3 controllers with ControllersForAll, while the 4S was always disconnecting since iOS 8.

You may have to connect it twice, sometimes, though. BTstack can be restarted via the ControllersForAll settings, if it bugs and doesn’t connect to your controller anymore…

[QUOTE=Weedy Weed Smoker;23972]Trust me, the iPhone 6 works wonderfully with PS3 controllers with ControllersForAll, while the 4S was always disconnecting since iOS 8.

You may have to connect it twice, sometimes, though. BTstack can be restarted via the ControllersForAll settings, if it bugs and doesn’t connect to your controller anymore…[/QUOTE]

I use iOS 7 wouldn’t bother with 8 on a 4S.

I don’t use ControllersForAll either just BTstack.

I experience the need to connect twice / reboot phone for the PS3 remote though.