In-Game-Guide

I hope this is the right place to put in a feature request, because I did a search and didn’t find one centralized location for them.

I don’t remember what emulator I used, but it did have one really nice feature that I think Retroarch, especially the version for smartphones, could benefit from.

an In-Game-Guide

the way it worked with the emulator I used was that if there was a .txt file that shared the name of the rom you were playing in the same folder as said rom, you could pull it up and scroll through it without leaving the emulator, and it kept track of where you were in the text file when you closed the game or emulator so that when you started playing again, your guide would already be in the right place.

Now, Retroarch, being as functional as it is, should be able to have this same feature, but perhaps it wouldn’t need to have the .txt file named the same as the rom.

If I knew what needed to be done to make it happen, the way I would do it would be that at anytime you could open RGUI and it would have 2 new Options in the main menu, 1 being something like “Load Guide” or “Load .txt”, and the other being “View Guide” or the like, and when the guide was “put away” eithur by resuming content or closing Retroarch completely, it would save you place in the file.

I know lot of people will say “Why not just minimise retroarch, and open your browser?” to which I would reply “In my case, my phone has a tendancy to kill apps really quickly, especially if it thinks I need the memory for the browser, so, I would save state, and"minimise” retroarch, launch my browser, and navigate to my guide of choice, load it and scroll through to get to the part I need, then switch back to Retroarch, and 9 times out of 10, I have to reload the game and my savestate, as if I just opened up a fresh instance of Retroarch, and then when I needed my guide, I would switch back to my browser, which would have been memdumped by my phone at this point, so it would have to reload my guide, and I would have to scroll through to find my place again, and then switch back to retroarch and reload everything, lather, rinse, repeat. Also, it would be beneficial for people who don’t have unlimited data on their plans, so that they don’t hve to use up data to find the guide.

Anyway, What do you guys think?