"init_video_filter :: Failed to load filter"

I’ve been trying to use RetroArch’s software filters, but any attempt to select one returns the following:

RetroArch [ERROR] :: init_video_filter :: Failed to load filter

I’m running Windows 8.1 64-bit, and I’ve tried numerous RetroArch builds (1.0.0.3 beta, nightly builds from weeks before and after the beta, 32 and 64 bit). Regardless of the build, I always receive the same error. I’ve even gone so far as to reformat my PC to see if it wasn’t an issue with my installation, but the problem persists.

I feel I’m missing something obvious, but I have no idea what it might be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think they are currently broken in Windows, but they worked at some point. Which one(s) were you wanting to use? Is there a specific reason you want the softfilter instead of a shader?

Glad to know I didn’t just stupidly forget something.

I’m trying to use NTSC filters in conjunction with the crt-royale shader to better replicate the full experience of playing older consoles on a CRT with their original video cables. My PC only has Intel integrated graphics (HD 4000) and it struggles with the NTSC shaders alone, so I assume stacking shaders is not a workable solution. The filters built into the Genesis Plus work beautifully with crt-royale, so RetroArch’s software filters seemed like a perfect solution, since I don’t think any of the other cores offer filters.

If there are any NTSC shaders that are light on GPUs (or if there are some settings/variables I can adjust to make them so) that I just don’t know about, I’d really like to learn about them.

Are you able to get playable speeds with crt-royale on your HD4000?

Nestopia has a core option for NTSC filtering but that might be the only other one. The softfilter only works reliably on NES/SNES resolutions (it’s hardcoded for certain resolutions, hence the need for genplusgx to have one built-in), anyway, so you’re only really missing out on SNES.

As an alternative, you might check out aliaspider’s GTU shader, which has an option for NTSC colors and it does a wonderful job of blending SNES’ pseudo-transparency. It also has a nice scanline effect, so the only thing you’re really missing out on vs crt-royale is the phosphor stuff, which you can simulate reasonably well with the separate dotmask.cg shader.

Crt-royale was pretty sluggish by default, but it runs without a hitch using the Intel-focused .cgp and user-settings file.

I tried the GTU shader and I like it quite a bit, though there’s one element from crt-royale that I really miss in all other CRT shaders: the dynamic mask triad “static” effect (somewhat resembling a noise filter). I don’t suppose there’s a shader specifically for that, is there?

I’m not sure I know what you’re referring to. Could you post a blown-up screenshot and point it out? If it’s what I’m thinking, then no, nothing else does it.

I tried taking some screenshots, but I can’t get the parameters to a point where the effect is discernable from everything else in a static screenshot. The effect I’m talking about is controlled by the “Mask_BLANK” parameters for the shader, and the effect is dynamic/animated, even when a game is paused. With the default mask type, it takes the form of multiple rings of subtly darker pixels oscillating across the screen, though the parameters I settled on left it closer to a slight, animated noise filter.

I’m sure this is a ridiculous question, but is there a specific .cg, from crt-royale, that’s responsible for this effect and that could be successfully used in conjunction with another shader?

not sure, but I can look into it.