Input lag: Could a ''speculative execution'' feature be implemented in Retroarch?

So I have two options, Lakka or Ubuntu? And you can’t have x.org on Ubuntu? But Lakka is super bare bones? (I’m not exactly sure what x.org is to begin with xP, aside from ‘‘window system’’)

By following my tutorial you’ll get RetroArch running automatically after turning the PC on. PC should shutdown automatically after quitting RetroArch as well. My tutorial doesn’t instal X11. It’s only the mini distro with the necessary packages to run RA.

maybe it’s actually disabling vsync?

[QUOTE=bootsector;24164]By following my tutorial you’ll get RetroArch running automatically after turning the PC on. PC should shutdown automatically after quitting RetroArch as well. My tutorial doesn’t instal X11. It’s only the mini distro with the necessary packages to run RA.[/QUOTE]

ah, okay.

Btw, Is there a chance of Retroarch getting a PuNes core sooner or later?

You can still have X installed, you just have to get out of it for KMS. X is indeed just the windowing system.

I think PuNES is closed-source freeware. We need source to do a port, unless the author decided to port it himself. We don’t currently have any closed-source libretro cores, but it could happen, I guess.

How do you temporarily get out of X? Is it as simple as killing windows explorer in task manager or more difficult?

I think PuNES is closed-source freeware. We need source to do a port, unless the author decided to port it himself. We don’t currently have any closed-source libretro cores, but it could happen, I guess.

Ah, so it would only happen if the creator wants to collaborate.

Another question, can I see files on the Window’s partition while on Linux? Because then I could keep my Rom collection there. I do know you can’t acess files from the linux partition on windows.

Getting out of X is as easy as hitting ctrl+alt+F1, which is why I mentioned that step in a previous post :wink:

Yes, you can read/write from NTFS partitions in Linux, though I’ve never had great luck with it. I recommend putting any files you want to share across systems on a FAT32 partition, if possible.

[QUOTE=hunterk;24188]Getting out of X is as easy as hitting ctrl+alt+F1, which is why I mentioned that step in a previous post :wink:

Yes, you can read/write from NTFS partitions in Linux, though I’ve never had great luck with it. I recommend putting any files you want to share across systems on a FAT32 partition, if possible.[/QUOTE]

Ah, that’s good :3. Should I install Xubuntu or ubuntu?

it doesn’t matter much. i like regular ubuntu, personally

Can it work from USB linux, like, not installing it? My dad wants me to try it there first, if it’s possible. (Also both my parents are mocking me for wanting to put this much effort for less input lag , they don’t get it xD)

Hmm. Not sure, I’ve never tried it from USB but you should be able to do an install to a USB drive. This guide seems to cover it:

D3Doverrider is supposedly forcing both vsync and triple buffering together. But whatever it’s doing, there’s no tearing and noticeably less lag. It even works with PC games, basically with anything that uses direct x. I’m pretty sure the overrider method is limited to DX9 though.

Going to buy a hard drive and make both an image and file backup today. I’m so hoping that everything’s going to work xP. btw, Do you guys think the KMS support will ever work in Windows?

No, KMS stands for Kernel Mode Setting. It’s a function of the Linux kernel.

I’m having some issues with the whole installing ubuntu alongside windows 7 thing (see: This thread http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/374219-i-have-windows-7-xp-also-want-ubuntu-all-seperate-hds.html#post3099259). Plus my uncle will help me when he comes around, he knows a lot about PC’s. So it’ll take a while before I actually get it, but when I do, I’ll surely use that tutorial bootsector sent.

Okay, I got Ubuntu 14.04 and installed Retroarch via the terminal, and it’s working fine, tested with Super Mario World. I have an Nvidia card and I heard nouveau is the default driver and that has kms support so I think I’m good on that. Im quite confused. First, how do I get my PS3 controller to work?

Second, how do I start Retroarch outside X (that ctrl alt F1 thing)? Edit: oh, you jusy type retroarch. But ofcourse the inputs won’t work at all.

Third, how do I install the requirements listed here(libudev, libxkbcommon), access the input, and make the premission file?

Fourth, how do I install the programs required for kms? (listed here, Mesa, libgbm , Libdrm) https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/wiki/KMS-mode

Last, how do I enable KMS?

in a terminal or outside of X, type: sudo nano /etc/udev/rules.d/99-evdev.rules scroll down to the bottom of the file and add: KERNEL==“event*”, NAME=“input/%k”, MODE=“666” hit ctrl+x to save and exit, then type: sudo udevadm control --reload-rules Reboot and input should be fixed.

If you launched from command line after hitting ctrl+alt+F1, you were already using KMS. All of the dependency stuff is already handled when the package was compiled, and you don’t need to enable anything.

I think your PS3 controller should work without any other effort.

Edit: got controller to work.

Also, there doesn’t seem to be a difference in delay then my regular windows retroarch…And the gui actually seems sliightly less responsive than on windows. (Well, on ubuntu in general, except for the no x typing) Am I doing somehing wrong or does it just not work? :confused:

Edit2: when starting it up, it says failed to connect to wayland server, and udev failed to open device mouse0, permission failed. Nothing else,.

Edit3: --features says kms/egl context support yes. Is it THAT little if a difference then? It’s not nearly console like at all. What a waste :confused:

Edit4: restarded and the controls stopped working again…Either that or it’s frozen. Yeah, it stopped working in it’s entirity. Even in unity mode. Great.

/shrug it feels better here. Maybe it’s a placebo, maybe something’s missing on your end. Dunno.

Hard GPU Sync 0 should be similar, just with much higher CPU load.

It’s not going to be like the mednafen thing, since that’s actually emulating ahead.

hard sync is a very small difference to normal for me anyways :/.

Well that was the most disappointing expiriment I’ve tried on my PC.

Is thete litetally no way to do this? Guess it’ll sty a dream then, low latency on my pc emulators. In that case, why not consider implementing the mednafen thing as an optional feature? It’s not the same as the console but it’s still so much better.