Input question: more than one controller for one player

Is there a way to hard-map more than one controller for one player on one core?

1 Like

If you mean more than one controller both/all controlling player 1, then no. The closest thing would be to use joy2key or something similar to map them to keyboard inputs and then map the retropad to those virtual keyboard keys.

Do you mean mapping individual controls from more than one gamepad to distinct/different buttons on the Player 1 RetroPad?

Like for Smash TV where you might map the D-Pads from Controller 1 and Controller 2to be on Player 1 Left D-Pad and Player 1 Right D-Pad if you want to play Smash TV Arcade like Smash TV NES?

If it is something like this scenario, the libretro API allows it but RetroArch does not currently implement it.

I meant hard mapping more than one controller so I can choose between one and the other.

In that case, that’s what the autoconfigs are for. You can save your own autoconfigs for the pads you have and then whatever you plug in gets autoconfigured for P1.

I use Xpadder - setup all my controls to the same Keyboard layout - and then map that keyboard layout in RetroArch and other emulators.

This let’s me hotswap controllers whenever I want.