Input response time

I’ve read a lot about video modes and aspect ratios, putting them into practice on my trusty 14" trinitron with great results. The games look exactly as I remember them on the screen.

I have question about response times though. I’m aware of the response time of the wiimote and things.

How does a fully wired Wii retroarch stack up against real hardware? Does the v-sync cause lag and stuff and all that jazz?

I don’t think anyone has done any real measurement, but I would guess there’s somewhere around 1-2 frames of latency, all-in.

I like your phrase.

Are you aware of the hard_gpu_sync feature? It can be found in video options. If you see input lag that way, you’re a superman. :slight_smile:

Hard-gpu sync doesn’t apply everywhere though. I don’t think it does on the Wii

Yeah, I think the consoles already have tight control over the framebuffer similar to KMS/EGL, and that’s all hard gpu sync tries to accomplish.

For some reason in Super Mario World the delay on jumping seems to be higher than any NES, Genesis or GBA game I’ve tried o.o.

Yes, I also noticed this. ( using CC pro ) I compared to official nintendo virtual console releases. The vc releases feel more “snappy”. It’s probably snesgx (next) in general. Nintendo did a good job on the Wii vc releases regarding lag. Do not buy the WiiU versions, they are horrible compared to the Wii VC Snes releases.

[QUOTE=Hielkenator;24605]Yes, I also noticed this. ( using CC pro ) I compared to official nintendo virtual console releases. The vc releases feel more “snappy”. It’s probably snesgx (next) in general. Nintendo did a good job on the Wii vc releases regarding lag. Do not buy the WiiU versions, they are horrible compared to the Wii VC Snes releases.[/QUOTE]

On top of having no filters is the reason I avoid the VC releases at all costs, Snes9x Next is likely more accurate, but as for the input lag, I have no idea. A lot of people seem to hate it over GX because of the GUI and less lag, however, the GX port has so many frameskip issues, tinny audio bug, more crashes, etc…