Installing PSX BIOS in Linux?

Hello people, perhaps someone can assist me? I’m using Debian 10 and installed RetroArch and am trying to find out which folder to place my PSX BIOS into? I do not know where the “system” folder is that RetroArch looks for it. I have tried to look for the answer online but ended up coming here. Thanks.

Go to settings > directory and you can set it to whatever you like. IIRC, it looks alongside the ROM you’re loading, by default.

1 Like

Thank you Hunter for getting back to me so quickly. I have tried this and RetroArch crashes. I have also read that Mednafen is very particular where you place the BIOS. I keep reading it needs to be placed inside a system folder but I’m not sure which. I appear to be using a valid BIOS as I tested it in PCSXR.

The ‘system’ folder is whatever you set it to in settings > directory.

If you load the core but don’t load any content, then go to main menu > information > core information, it will list the BIOS images it looks for (by name only) and provide a known-good md5 checksum for each one. Make sure your BIOS is named correctly (including case and lack of hyphen) and that it matches the md5 sum listed and, of course, that it says it can find it.

Thanks again hunterk. I see that the core information says " missing, required:scph5001.bin" (PS1 US BIOS)., etc. I will get back to you once I find the correct BIOS, and try your recommendations again.

OK. Placed scph5001.bin & scph1001.bin BIOS into folder /home/jiri/PS1 BIOS. Restarted RetroArch and went to Settings --> Directory --> System/BIOS and made sure core points to /home/jiri/PS1 BIOS folder. Restarted RetroArch and went back to Main Menu --> Information --> Core Information and it still says its “missing firmware”. I tested both BIOS files in PCSXR and it worked, so the BIOS files are legitimate. Am I missing a step or something?

Even if they work on PCSXR doesn’t mean that you have the right BIOS.
Mednafen is searching for a BIOS matching the exact checksum.
If they have different md5sums than the core report that the BIOS is missing.

Other emulators are checking only the filename, not the checksum

Firmware(s):
(!) Present, Optional: scph5500.bin (PS1 JP BIOS)
(!) Present, Optional: scph5501.bin (PS1 US BIOS)
(!) Present, Optional: scph5502.bin (PS1 EU BIOS)
(!) scph5500.bin (md5): 8dd7d5296a650fac7319bce665a6a53c
(!) scph5501.bin (md5): 490f666e1afb15b7362b406ed1cea246
(!) scph5502.bin (md5): 32736f17079d0b2b7024407c39bd3050
1 Like

Also note: the core doesn’t look for scph5001.bin or scph1001.bin. It looks for 5500, 5501 and 5502. If the BIOS don’t match the name and the checksum, it’s not going to work.

1 Like

Oh okay, excellent point to consider. I’ve never dealt with md5 or checksums before. Something new to learn. Does it matter where the BIOS is placed?

Just ran a MD5 check on both of my PS1 BIOS and they match the original MD5 checksum as per WinMD5Free app. I’m starting to think that my BIOS is in the incorrect location. I’m not well versed as to where Linux places installed apps. I tested both BIOS on a Windows 10 laptop and dropped the BIOS file into RetroArch\System folder and the PS1 games work.

The default path on linux should be /home/*user*/.config/retroarch/system/ where .config is a hidden directory.

But you can change this in RetroArch Settings - Directory - System/BIOS

If the md5sum is the same, check if your file is properly named:

scph5500.bin
scph5501.bin
scph5502.bin

NOT scph5001.bin or scph1001.bin
Rename it if the checksum is correct

1 Like

Thankyou ImnoTapLumber and hunterk for all your help and kind patience. I finally got the PSX and BIOS working. RetroArch is an excellent product and I am really enjoying it now.

2 Likes

Note: on Linux you just use the md5sum command to get the MD5 of a file. For example:

md5sum scph5500.bin
2 Likes

I also had trouble with this and my problem was when I seen it had to be placed in the “system” folder I thought I had to find a folder called that in my install directory.

I later realized as they say its the folder you designate to be your system folder from within the program.

When you look under the core information tab after you have loaded the core it will tell you if it needs to be in an additional folder within your system folder as well. Some do not need to be be placed in a sub folder within your system folder. like the 5500.bin 5501.bin and 5502.bin

Also note that it is important that the bios files be named correctly as well.

2 Likes