Intellevision stutters on one game in Retroarch

I have the latest version of RetroArch 1.90 and I am using the FreeIntv core to play Carnival, If you are familiar with the game 3 rows of targets scroll left to right or right to left depending on the row.

I load the game no problem but when it plays the targets blank out for a couple seconds for the entire game. I have seen footage of this game on Youtube and it should be completely smooth.

I have no core options for FreeIntv (as you know) I have tried different roms to see if that was the problem. That didn’t work. I have the same issue on my Retropie. All other Intellivision games are fine. Is there some sort of config that I have to do with Carnival to get it to work properly?

Could be an issue with the core. Have you tried running it through MAME?

No I haven’t

I am trying a Mattel Intellivision game “Carnival” wouldn’t the only core I could use be FreeIntv? The only core it would let me load in Retroarch is that one.

Is there a standalone version of MAME?

There is a standalone MAME, but there’s also a libretro core. Since they merged all of the previously-known-as-MESS stuff into MAME, it can run most console and classic computer titles as well as arcade stuff, though it can be a bit of a hassle to get it going.