Interface regressions

So I’ve not used RetroArch for quite some time now, and set up a fresh install of the latest build. There seem to be a number of regressions made since I last used it. [ol] [li]Why do custom viewport width and height no longer list the scale when integer scaling is enabled? A real hassle when switching between displays or systems. [/li][li]Custom viewport width/height no longer updates when the core is changed. If I last played a SNES game at some multiple of 256x224, such as 5x4 (1280x896) then load up a core running at 320x240, it’s still scaled to 1280x896. I have to go into the menus and hit enter on my keyboard to “reset” the width and height to a proper integer scale. [/li][li]Why is GLUI now a blinding white instead of black? (and RA crashes when I try to change this) [/li][li]Why is the GLUI menu opaque now? The main reason that I used it, is that it allowed me to see shader/scaling changes as I made them. [/li][li]Saving shader presets no longer seems to work. [/li][/ol]

1 and 2 may be related. It looks like toggling fullscreen will reset it, as well, so I’m guessing it’s holding onto the exact resolution instead of doing a multiple of the core’s native res.

3 and 4 are working as intended (except for the crashing). The menu was overhauled to follow ‘material design’ guidelines.

5 indeed seems to be the case. It’s not a feature I use but it’s definitely not something we want broken. I’m not sure if the feature itself is broken or if accepting the filename is broken. I’ll look into it some more.

As a workaround you can use the XMB UI with a transparent background image. That will allow you to see the game in realtime behind it like GLUI. The default one is located in assets/xmb/monochrome/png/bg.png. You can replace it with this semi-transparent black one that I use: http://i.imgur.com/5hD15OB.png

I have to confess I’m still on a version from the beginning of October with the old black GLUI. I was waiting for the the menu rework to be complete but I wonder if that’s the case.

What about zarch? I’m still stuck in an empty setting menu when I try it, and the mouse cursor is invisible.

Trying to use the mouse in GLUI, when the pointer is on the top half part of an entry, it activates the other entry right on top of it when you click. All this on win7 x64.

[QUOTE=hunterk;32015]1 and 2 may be related. It looks like toggling fullscreen will reset it, as well, so I’m guessing it’s holding onto the exact resolution instead of doing a multiple of the core’s native res.[/quote]Yes, I’m sure that it used to store (and display) the integer scale, whereas now it seems to store the resolution. And if a core runs at a different internal resolution, it will use “wrong” resolutions when you make adjustments until you reset it by hitting the enter key on the keyboard. (I haven’t found a way to do this via a controller) Using the original example of 5x4 for 1280x896 with a SNES game (256x224 native) if I then load up a core which is 320x240, it will still output 1280x896. (5x4 should be 1600x960) If I make any adjustments it will add/subtract 320h/240v so I would end up with 960x656 if I subtracted one from each, which is not a multiple of 320x240 or 256x224.

If I could get per-core configs to actually work (crashes immediately when switching cores for me) it would be less of an issue, but I’d really need per-core, and per-display configs for it to really work as I’d like. The output to my CRT monitor is very different than my LCD TV, which is very different from my LCD monitor.

[QUOTE=hunterk;32015]3 and 4 are working as intended (except for the crashing). The menu was overhauled to follow ‘material design’ guidelines.[/quote]It needs a “night mode” or something. It’s blindingly bright on my TV. Opacity should be an option. It looks as though there used to be options which worked, as you can set a menu color and it is currently ffffffff (rr/gg/bb/aa) but if I try to make any changes to that value while RA is running it crashes, and if I change it in the config file it’s ignored.

Thanks. I use it all the time depending on the game/system/output display.

[QUOTE=Awakened;32018]As a workaround you can use the XMB UI with a transparent background image. That will allow you to see the game in realtime behind it like GLUI. The default one is located in assets/xmb/monochrome/png/bg.png. You can replace it with this semi-transparent black one that I use: http://i.imgur.com/5hD15OB.png[/QUOTE]I’ll try that for now, thanks - though I was never a fan of XMB.

Zarch isn’t ready for general use yet, but it’s gotten a lot more usable since October, Tatsuya79. You might try backing up your known-good installation and grabbing a nightly to try it out. It has built-in mouse support, semi-transparency for shader adjustment and zsnes snow(!!!):

Settings menu doesn’t work yet, though, which makes it pretty inappropriate as a daily driver.

I tried it already and it’s looking good. Not too bright (I agree with larch1991 on the “blinding new white” of GLUI) and can be really nice to browse with the mouse. I’ll wait for it.

Heh… well GLUI is the touch screen GUI so it being white is not a dealbreaker there but I see what you mean XMB is working nicely for me

rgui4lyfe!

Just my own opinion but, shaders should NOT be in Quick Menu. Quite what the connection is between Quick Menu and shaders, is beyond me. Shaders should be directly beneath Video. Quick Menu should be just that, load rom, unload rom, load state, save state, etc…

Shaders are in Quick Menu so you can quickly test shader changes without navigating all the way to a more “distant” menu.

[QUOTE=larch1991;32010]So I’ve not used RetroArch for quite some time now, and set up a fresh install of the latest build. There seem to be a number of regressions made since I last used it. [ol] [li]Why do custom viewport width and height no longer list the scale when integer scaling is enabled? A real hassle when switching between displays or systems.[/li][/ol] [/quote]heh, i just posted this somewhere else but I had the same problem - I logged it: https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/2516

Agree with you about the GLUI. before it was a nicer looking alternative to the old-school RGUI, but now it doesn’t really do it for me. i’m back with the RGUI and it’s fine, and maybe the ceefax-stylings are appropriate for a retro system anyway :slight_smile: XMB would be better with a transparent background by default also i reckon.