Invisible sprites

I have also asked this on Reddit.

I have noticed that lots of games with flashing sprite effects (e.g. invincibility) cause the sprites to go complete invisible in Retroarch. I’ve noticed this in multiple cores - Beetle PSX, the Genesis one, bsnes-mercury.

I mean literally invisible.

I’ve tried with a fresh Retroarch install to eliminate config problems.

Does anyone know how to fix this? It definitely wasn’t always like this.

This sounds to me like you are running these games at 30fps or your screen is at 30hz.

You need to run them at 60fps/hz.

In most games, the fast invincibility blinking effect is basically the sprite appearing for 1 frame and disappearing for another 1. But if you only see half frames then you either only see the ones were the sprite is visible or the ones where it’s invisible (like in your case).

You can see the same bug in 30fps Youtube videos of 60fps games.

2 Likes

Yeah everything you said makes sense, but I absolutely am not (I would have noticed!). Retroarch is reporting the screen refresh rate as 59.97hz plus change.

If you have vsync turned on (which is by default), and your computer cannot run the content at fullspeed, the framerate will halve at 30fps, causing the problem.

Make sure to disable it on RA, and also on nvidia/amd/intel controlpanel (don’t know about intel/amd, but on nvidia you can force vsync in general settings on nvidia cp).

I’m sure that’s what’s happening, as @GemaH said.

Greetings.