iOS 8.1.2 Freezing Issue

So I have seen this pop up here and there but no significant answer provided. I am running a jailbroken iOS 8.1.2 on an iPhone 6. I have Retroarch 1.0.0.1 installed (through Cydia). I managed to play through FF8 with almost no issues (had to set PAL vs auto for a single FMV) and everything went extremely smoothly. I used the pcsx-rearmed interpreter core. The standard pcsx core crashes Retroarch. I heard this is pretty common with a Pangu jailbreak. Unfortunately, at this point there is no way to change to the Taig jailbreak.

However, I went to play FF9 (duh) and although it would load the emulator (pcsx-rearmed interpreter core) it wouldn’t go past the Square-Enix screen. Just black. FPS indicator shows that it is still running, but nothing happening. I heard that Mednafen has a better chance at playing this game but all I ever get when trying to load a .cue file is the “content failed to load” error. No amount of Bios or permissions changes seems to let me use the Mednafen core.

I also managed to install a nightly build (6-12-15) and after blindly fumbling through the completely different menus it had the same issue. Maybe there is a specific build that would work?

So I guess this is a plea for some help. I know I haven’t posted any logs and would be happy to if I knew where to start. I am also able to fumble through direct instructions with the I would rather not simply wait for the next release knowing that the issue may not be fixed. Mednafen seems to be my best bet, but again, I can’t ever get it to load any content.

Either way, thanks in advance. Retroarch is completely amazing and regardless of the specific issue I am having, it has been a solidly reliable emulator overall.

FF9 indeed seems broken with PCSX-ReARMed interpreter. If you want to try with mednafen-psx, first load up the core but don’t try to launch any games, then go into the ‘core info’ in the menu and it will tell you if RetroArch is finding your BIOS file(s). If not, that’s your problem.

If it is finding them and games still won’t load, you may have a problem with your cue sheets. The first thing to do is open the cue in a text editor and make sure the bin paths are case-sensitive. If that’s all set, try renaming your bin files to test1, test2, etc. and editing the cue sheets to match, in case the spaces are causing issues.

Geeze, maybe I am missing more than I know. I can load the core in the default iOS menu and the Retroarch menu (see screen shots) without loading a game, but I don’t see any way to view core info. Maybe you could point me the right way.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMSXTQ-5Q0XsfomeipEcP0GZXF1IGQ_1nzrq_wG

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMnCWnhLdyLh4QfhWhx0UQUsZvjjRIRejWb_C7l

This being said, I know my bios 1001 is working (FF8 detected it, no bios missing error when loading). I read that Mednafen uses 5500, 5501 (7003), and 5502 so I will double check those while I wait.

I can’t see those photos. Maybe they’re direct links to your account rather than public links…?

Anyway, it should be on the front page of the RGUI menu (the green pixelated one). If you’re not seeing it, try with the nightly.

Ok. I ended up installing the nightly build from 6/14. I loaded the core but no game and under core information it says no information available. I have the 4 bios files in the .retroarch file. Is this the right location? Is there a way to point the core at the bios?

For the core info to show up, you also need to have the *.info files in with your core dylibs. If you don’t see them, you can get them from the libretro-super repo:

Ok, so I tried two things. One, grabbing the new .info files for specific cores (the psx ones) from the link hunter provided and putting them with the dylibs and two, I found an older version of retroarch with .info files for every core. In both cases I still get the no information available under core info. These screen grabs should work (it was late yesterday…) and show the .info files with the dylibs and the core info screen.

New photo by Chris Martin New photo by Chris Martin New photo by Chris Martin

Also, thanks for the patience. Its frustrating on my end but has to be more so on everyone else.

p.s. even though it doesn’t matter yet, I can’t seem to figure out how to get a proper keypad overlay despite there being overlays in the folder. I swear I have looked under every possible setting and there is no place to point to an overlay in the version I am currently running.

They need to have the exact same names as the dylibs (I see some of your are _ios and some aren’t), and make sure that you have read/write permissions to the directory and all of the files inside.

Fair enough. The one I was using matched correctly but I went back and corrected the names on the .info files for all psx cores (mostly just adding “_ios” to the end of the info file name. Re-sprung and checked all psx cores and still displaying no information even the ones that will actually load a game (rearmed interpreter).