iOS9 RetroArch Support? (iPad2)

Just signed up wanting to figure out a serious issue I’ve had with Retroarch since updating to an iOS9 jailbreak (which I’ve found it was pretty stupid on my part…should have stuck with iOS8). Obviously with the update from 8 to 9 there had been some pretty serious changes in the architecture…my problem is though after the release of the Retroarch 9 (nightlies) that supports playing PSX games, I’m able to get ISOs booted up and they seem to be working, but on an iPad 2 the games are very slow and the sound stutters the entire time. All PSX games I used to play using Retroarch on iOS 8 worked perfectly and now they don’t seem to work very good on 9. Also the lack of controller support is pretty depressing too. Is there any new updates to this or any options I should be looking in to? Thanks.

I believe the dynarec doesn’t work on iOS9, which is why it’s so much slower.

Apple continues breaking ABI with each new iOS release.

The dynarec last worked with iOS 8. iOS 9 was a hard break and that killed off the dynarec forever.

You should have stayed with iOS 8 if you wanted a fast PSX emulator, as simple as that. Not many people are going to bother updating code endlessly just because Apple can’t help themselves to break compatibility with each new OS release.

Well, thats because of your A5 chip 32bits processor. I thought you had and iPad Air 2. Bad news, theres no way it can get better with out jailbreak.

Hopefully, you still have your iPad 2 jailbroken, cause without jailbreak no way you can play ps1 games smoothly. I assume you have the latest version, just download the cores you need and update core into files from online updater. uninstall RetroArch then install RetroArch 1.0.0.2.1 using ifile. Download RetroArch from the link below.

Then install or (reinstall) Activator from cydia to help finishing installing RetroArch. Using ifile, go to this directory(/var/mobile/Documents/RetroArch/cores) and copy all the cores then paste then into this directory (Applications/RetroArch.app/modules). After that, copy all the core info files from this directory (/var/mobile/Documents/RetroArch/info) and paste then into this directory (Applications/RetroArch.app/modules).

you need bios files for ps1 found in this youtube link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpRHlGw2Gvo drop them into (/var/mobile/Documents/.RetroArch)

You need frontend file to enable Btstack. Drop it into (/var/mobile/Documents/.RetroArch) http://www.mediafire.com/download/6u38cteb6k4o891/frontend.cfg

check if you can pair ps3 controller or more without using controller of all, I never tested this because I don’t have iOS 9 jailbroken device. But I tested RetroArch 1.0.0.2.1 on iOS9 non-jailbroken, working fine with iOS 9 cores. Frontend will crash the app so if you trying to input the buttons just load any game for example ps1 game then tap on top middle of the screen then go to input. Do this step with others cores as well. Or download the following link for config files and drop them into ( /var/mobile/Documents/.RetroArch). The inputs already configured for player 1 to player 4. (ps3 controller only) http://www.mediafire.com/download/iv6gb73qiqkkqz1/new_config_files.zip

use overtime you are using RetroArch to Free up Rams: Find the Sleep/Wake button on the top right of your device. Much like how you turned it on, you want to hold down the button until “slide to power off” appears across the top of the display. Then release it. Don’t cancel, and don’t slide the button to power the device off…After that, press and hold the home button until you see the screen flash black and back to Home screen.

I’m telling you that iPad 2 is very very very slow with ios9 specially when it’s jailbroken. If there is anyway to downgrade it to iOS8 in future don’t hesitate go ahead and downgrade it.