Is it normal to have game specific overrides for every game?

Hi there, I wonder if someone can help me. I think I understand the hierarchy of how Retroarch works with the global settings, core settings and then game specific. However, I would expect to have only game specific configs in those games where I have changed settings from the default core settings. Some games I have changed nothing, but still there are configs created for that game. Every game I start for the first time I get “configuration override loaded” in the bottom left corner- is that normal? There are some games where I want some changes made, such as shader and overlays. However, most games follow the rules set out by the core.

thanks for reading.

Hi, config files can indeed be saved per game, either manually by placing a .cfg file into the right place, or by ‘game override’ from the Quick Menu.

Take MAME2010 as an example: As soon as you have some Core-specific settings, these can be saved via Core Override in the MAME2010 subdirectory of your system directory - called MAME2010.cfg. As soon as you save a Game-specific override, this one is saved alongside of MAME2010.cfg as gamename.cfg and prevails over MAME2010.cfg, which itself prevails over retroarch.cfg.

With some planning, you can now decide which settings you wanna place where. Hope that helps, it’s quite some hierarchy, but gives you very nice options.