Is there a Game Boy & Color core(s) that support the BIOS boot?

I’m still showing Feb 1st as the last update on the Gambette core. Am I looking in the wrong place?

I’m looking here: http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/windows/x86_64/latest/

EDIT: Scratch that, it ain’t working. The Nintendo logo just flashes by and you can never see the proper boot sequence.

My GB BIOS file is named: gb_bios.bin, it’s placed under the system folder and the option Use official bootloader is set to enabled but nothing happens.

EDIT 2: Same with Game Boy Color, no boot sequence at all and right to the game. gbc_bios.bin is the name of the file, it’s under the system folder and the option Use official bootloader is set to enabled plus hardware to GBA.

The Gambatte core I downloaded were from February 10th and compiled last night (February 9th) so Pull Request #67 should be on this core???

Everything is working on my end with the same settings.

Are your bootroms the same? my md5sums are: gb_bios.bin 32fbbd84168d3482956eb3c5051637f5 gbc_bios.bin dbfce9db9deaa2567f6a84fde55f9680

Yep they match perfectly:

gb_bios.bin = 32FBBD84168D3482956EB3C5051637F5 gbc_bios.bin = DBFCE9DB9DEAA2567F6A84FDE55F9680

I’m using RetroArch 1.4.1 from February 10th with the absolute latest Gambatte core.

My BIOS files is located accordingly: C:\Games\Video Games\Consoles\Game Boy\system\gb_bios.bin C:\Games\Video Games\Consoles\Game Boy Color\system\gbc_bios.bin

My palette folder in C:\Games\Video Games\Consoles\Game Boy\system works perfectly so the system folder is correct.

Have you tried placing the bins in the RA system folder? (Not in the emulators ones).

Well the Game Boy and Game Boy Color folders under the Consoles folder is separate RetroArch folders to begin with and contains everything a RetroArch folder would contain.

So in my case, RetroArch\system = Game Boy\system

I have separate RetroArch folders for every console I emulate in RetroArch and this kind of setup have worked beautifully for every other core that have depended on BIOS and firmware files.

Otherwise my Sony PlayStation\system folder would not have worked because mednafen_psx is quite picky with BIOS files.

EDIT: I have checked and double checked and my system folders are properly mapped in RetroArch but I can’t for the love of god get these bootloading screens to show. This is driving me crazy here.

1 Like

This is the exact behavior I have been getting since the Feb 1st version of the core. I’m gonna try the new one that uploaded this morning and give it a go.

Ok I tried the newest core but it’s a no go on my end as well.

I have my BIOS files in C:\Emulators\RetroArch\system

gb_bios.bin & gbc_bios.bin.

I’m not exactly sure how to check the “md5sum” or w/e, but given that these both worked on VBA (standalone) and I’m getting the exact same behavior as SigmaVirus I’m willing to bet mine are correct.

I checked the option in Core Options for using original bootloader, it’s on…

Not sure what else to troubleshoot at this point

1 Like

Glad to hear I’m not alone having this issue.

You can easily check the MD5 on your BIOS files here without uploading them: http://onlinemd5.com/

I still haven’t got this to work, and I’m starting to pull my hair off. My BIOS files works great in the standalone emulator bgb 1.5.2

:cry:

1 Like

NICE! I’ll have to bookmark that.

gb: 32FBBD84168D3482956EB3C5051637F5 gbc: DBFCE9DB9DEAA2567F6A84FDE55F9680

1 Like

If you are on windows then I really recommend to get a program called HashTab. You can check hashes for anything from the Properties window. As for the issue I cant really help.

There where some changes that where made to file handling(so 3ds/vita would not break) before it was merged,it will default to ignoring bootloaders if it cant find them or there is a file handling error.

It also has not compiled for mac or android yet.(maybe others too,but you have the correct version if the use official bootloader option is present)

The option is there and it’s defaulted to “on” in my setup. :frowning: I’m on Windows, using 64-bit. The sums are right, the directories are right…

I’m not sure what I’m not doing right here.

OK, now that we have established that the MD5 checksum for each BIOS is correct we can rule that out being the problem.

I’ve tried to delete all my config files and game specific core option config files and nothing works.

It’s hopeless, I really wanted this to work.

It is likely the new file handling code,I will check it.

1 Like

Thanks mate! I hope you can pin point the problem. :slight_smile:

Just tested again and can confirm it fails on the windows version but works on linux.

2 Likes

It is likely because I used fopen that accepts / but retroarch internal file api uses windows file api that may only accept backslash.(the fourms wont draw a backslash for some reason?)

1 Like

Sounds like the problem have been found, so it’s Windows related then?

It was actually something else, I pushed a fix for Windows just now.