Is there a way to display a core/content's native resolution?

This seems like a really basic question, but I’ve been searching the forums, Google, and looking through the RetroArch menus for hours and can’t find a way to do it…

I’d simply like to see what the native resolution of the core/content I’m running is. NOT the resolution that I’m running my system at, but the original console/game’s native resolution. I don’t want to switch my monitor to that resolution, just see what it is. i.e., like an “info screen” or something like that?

For example, most Atari 2600 games ran at 160x192, but some ran at higher resolutions, like 160x200. Is there a button I could press, or a menu I could look at, or an overlay I could turn on in RetroArch so I could see what the native resolution of the game I’m currently playing is?

1 Like

Yes, in the ‘statistics,’ which you can enable in settings > onscreen display > onscreen notifications > visibility. Look toward the bottom, under ‘core geometry’.

EDIT: this doesn’t appear to be dynamic, though, as it doesn’t change for me when I switch the 240p test suite to 480i.

Hyperspacemadness’ Mega Bezel has a way to show similar info, though, and it should be dynamic.

3 Likes

For example, most Atari 2600 games ran at 160x192, but some ran at higher resolutions, like 160x200. Is there a button I could press, or a menu I could look at, or an overlay I could turn on in RetroArch so I could see what the native resolution of the game I’m currently playing is?

For most cores of old systems, the answer is likely no, because they don’t operate strictly on the basis of programmed modes, but more of a fixed screen with borders. So for example, the Atari Stella core gives you a 320x228 screen that just doubles your examples horizontally, and 192 or 200 lines of the actual game are within 228 lines similar like on a CRT.

If I remember correctly, if you run

retroarch --verbose

it will display the content resolution in the terminal/console.

The problem is that resolution doesn’t define aspect.

For example the SEGA Game Gear was 4x3 (1.33) aspect but the screen resolution is 160x144. (1.11)

The LCD pixels are non-square pixels.

DAR, PAR, Core Provided… all automatic RA settings will display it incorrectly.

IMHO, for the most part I find that forcing 4x3 for most CRT consoles works best.

I feel the same way about computer systems.

The IBM PC went through various resolution changes over the years…

CGA = 160x100, 320x200, or 640x200

EGA = 320x350 or 640x350

VGA = 640x480

Only the last is mathematically native 4x3 but no matter the resolution, they always displayed full screen on a 4x3 PC monitor.

2 Likes