Is There a Way to Soft Reset?

This is something that’s been bothering me for awhile, so I’ll ask it now. Does soft resetting exist in RetroArch? Using the restart function does a hard reset.

Soft resetting is a crucial element to have with emulated games, causing them to function different from when you hard reset. It’s so important, in fact, that some games require it. For example, it’s impossible to legitimately beat the first X-Men game on the Mega Drive without it! If it’s not in RetroArch, this is quite literally a game-breaking issue.

[QUOTE=bleakassassin;34073]This is something that’s been bothering me for awhile, so I’ll ask it now. Does soft resetting exist in RetroArch? Using the restart function does a hard reset.

Soft resetting is a crucial element to have with emulated games, causing them to function different from when you hard reset. It’s so important, in fact, that some games require it. For example, it’s impossible to legitimately beat the first X-Men game on the Mega Drive without it! If it’s not in RetroArch, this is quite literally a game-breaking issue.[/QUOTE]

Same problem with me, theres is no way to finish X-MEN? How can I do a soft reset?

It would be up to the core to implement reset like that, then Restart would be soft reset and load/unload would be a hard reset. Some core does that at least.

[QUOTE=bleakassassin;34073]This is something that’s been bothering me for awhile, so I’ll ask it now. Does soft resetting exist in RetroArch? Using the restart function does a hard reset.

Soft resetting is a crucial element to have with emulated games, causing them to function different from when you hard reset. It’s so important, in fact, that some games require it. For example, it’s impossible to legitimately beat the first X-Men game on the Mega Drive without it! If it’s not in RetroArch, this is quite literally a game-breaking issue.[/QUOTE]

Wait, what? I have never once heard of reset being necessary to beat a game. That doesn’t even make sense. Can you clarify???

@SkyHighGam3r this is what op means: https://youtu.be/YWjc0ZPOr-A

So you had to push the reset button to continue the story?

That’s the single dumbest design choice I’ve ever heard of… it’s fascinating.

I remember pushing reset when playing X-Men 2 because you could never choose your character at the start too, it was randomized.