Issue with Save Slots - cannot go back

I have found a slight annoyance with the Save Slots in Retroarch.

When I click/press on the Save Slot field, the Save Slot number increments instead of letting me choose which Save Slot I wish to use. I normally use an AB form with Save Slots where I will save in slot A then next save in Slot B then next save in Slot A etc… to make it so I will have a backup save in case I wish to load somewhere earlier because of a bad decision or inescapable issue This used to not be a problem for me with RetroArch as I used to be able to select the slot. Now however I can only choose the next slot instead of going back.

For example if my first save is in Slot 0 and my second, farther save is in Slot 1, I cannot choose Slot 0 and create a new save there, I have to use Slot 1 again or cycle farther and use Slot 2 This means when I go back to my game I need to cycle the save slots to where I last left off. It also means I generally can only productively use a single save slot at a time I tried also cycling through all Save Slots to go around to 0 again but I gave up after around 120. I don’t know how high the number goes

Am I missing something with the Save Slot field? is there a way to decrement the number instead of just increment it, or even better is there a way to drop down the list of available slots and choose which one I wish to use?

You can use left/right to decrement/increment if you’re using a touch overlay in the menus. I think the gamepad overlays’ menus typically have state +/- buttons that should do it.

Thanks for the reply

I have attached a screenshot to show you what I am looking at. I don’t have in-menu controls, it’s all touchscreen. And it doesn’t matter where on the State Slot field I click, the number still increments

I also don’t see a way to enable in-menu controls. Can you let me know how I can do that please

Thanks

There’s a general option under “saving” I believe that increments the save state. You might have it enabled somehow.

You can switch from touch to a gamepad overlay in menus by going to settings > onscreen overlay > hide overlay in menus OFF.

The other option I was referring to, though, if you’re already using an overlay in-game is to push the little gear icon, which brings up a menu with some savestate stuff without going back to the actual RetroArch menu.

Thanks very much dude! that did it