Issues with the FBalpha_2012 core on Retro arch?

Basically I’m trying to get some arcade classics on my N3DS. In order to make sure I have the right setup I have the latest (stable) retro arch on my windows 7 PC, I also have the latest (stable) FB alpha for windows, and an older FBalpha V 0.2.97,39 and have roms from FBA v0.2.97.39 romset.

Now this is my issue, all or most of the roms I’ve tested in FBAlpha (latest stable) and V 0.2.97.39 work without any problems however when I try the same romset in retroarch with the FBAlpha-2012 core a lot of the roms are not working.

Whats likely to be the issue here ?

Maybe support for those games was not added to FB Alpha until after the 2012 release was cut? It would be more obvious if you posted which roms don’t work.

But afaik, the 2012 core is only for very low memory devices, and the latest stable is a much better idea if you have more RAM than, say, a Wii (80MB).

1 Like

I didn’t know that I guess that why the 3DS uses the fba 2012 core. thanks I think you might be right about the rom’s being from after the 2012 release.

I tested them on the normal 2.97.39 core and most of them seem fine, however when I try contra and a few other games there is a really bad crackling sound, but when I try it in the Fbalpha Emulator the image is flipped and upside down ? that seems to happen for some of the older games mainly sega and konami form what I’ve seen. However the crackling is on many roms that were in a 2.97.39 Set I’m hoping the crackling sound can be remedied with some option twerking but haven’t figured it out yet.

If you can’t find a game here, it’s not supported in that release: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/libretro/fbalpha2012/master/svn-current/trunk/gamelist.txt

It also lists games with sound problems (incomplete sound, imperfect sound, no sound, bad sound). There are 121 such games. Contra is not one of these, but maybe it is an unnoticed bug. Maybe a fix could be backported if the problematic drivers are identified.

Thanks that list is really helpful, but as expected most of the games I’m having issues with are listed as working fine. I wonder if it has anything to do with the rom set I have being a ‘Non-Merged’ set ? Ideally I need a set that works well with the 2012 core. But that still doesn’t explain why a v0.2.97.39 romset isn’t working well with a v0.2.97.39 Fbalpha build or v0.2.97.39 retro arch core? It’s just so bizzare that contra works well with good speeds and sound in FBalpha except the image is flipped and upside down. but in retro arch its slow and crackly but with the image the right way.

How would one go about identifying problematic drivers? and would it be worth it ?