Issues with using multiple (different) controllers

Hello everyone, I am new here although I have had great enjoyment using RetroArch for the last year or so I am having a bit of a headache at the moment.

I have a number of different controllers I use with RetroArch (ibuffalo SNES and Famicom ones) a Hyperkin GN6 USB and an iNEXT N64 USB controller. It used to be that I could use one controller, disconnect it, connect a different one and all the correct binds would be used. At present (using 1.7.7) it just seems to use the same binds as the previous controller so it all gets screwed up, I can rebind the buttons correctly for the chosen controller and select “save auto config” it will tell me it’s saved successfully and still give the same result.

Any help with this will be much appreciated.

This is running on windows 10 .

If the pads are recognized and autoconfigured correctly, you shouldn’t need to modify anything in settings > input. The only things you should need to mess with are in quick menu > controls.

Ahh I see, I’ve messed about with both of them interchangeably and that’s why my binds are screwed, after tinkering with it for a bit I am reasonably happy that I have sorted it for the most part. There is still a couple of sticky wickets however.

1:when I change controller, it doesn’t always seem to change the binds on it’s own, I have to go to settings>Input>User 1 Binds>reset to defaults

2:my iNNEXT N64 controller shows up as a Retrolink USB N64 controller and RA seems to load the autoconfig for that, but considering that both controllers obviously have the buttons wired differently, I can’t seem to get any changes to the controls and autoconfig to stick as it just reloads the Retrolink autoconfig

One more thing, on my GN6 USB and iNNEXT N64 controller, if I change the binds under settings>input, would I be able to change the controls there to make browsing the XMB correspond with the same buttons as you would in game (a button select, b button back etc. rather than whatever the retropad layout deems fit)

If you have a false-positive autoconfig match, the easiest thing to do is just go into your autoconfig directory and delete the conflicting config.

To make the menu button assignments make more sense, there’s a trick that someone mentioned for one of the other N64 pads:

He assigned retropad-a and retropad-y both to the same physical B button.

Ahh, I had a feeling it was a rogue autoconfig but I was looking in the wrong subfolder, everything’s working smashingly well now, that’s a good tip about the b button for the 64 controller, maybe someday we can have better binds for non retro pad-esque controllers. I do a similar trick with having select and start bound to the start button for the L+R+start+select combo.

Thank you for your help

I am having a similar issue where a N64 gamepad is being recognized as some generic Xbox controller. Where is the autoconfig directory found? I have went into the every lakka and retroarch folder that seems relevant with no luck.

My other follow up is I attempted to override the controls for the autoconfig using the user binds/bind all and then figured I could save an Autoconfig of the new setup. I am given an error upon attempting, is that because it won’t allow overwriting of the file? Also, if I switch the Device Index from the Autoconfig controller to disabled I can’t edit key binds, why is that?