Just looking for some information

So i have retro build up and running good. but there are still a few things that i might want to play with. For instance…

What are nightlies? Shaders? Assets? Overlays? CG Shaders? GLSL Shaders? Etc.

I’m not expecting for answers to all of these here, but any knowledge on any of these would be greatly appreciated.

Nightlies are builds that happen every day (or night). For most programs, nightlies may have more features but often have more bugs. For some programs, like RetroArch and FFmpeg for example, using “stable” releases just means you’re missing out on the latest work.

Shaders are special programs that run on your GPU and affect the visual output, often to add CRT-like effects or special upscaling algorithms (like hq2x, supereagle, etc.)

Assets are just files used by RetroArch menus, like icons and wallpapers. The program works without them, just some things are uglier than necessary.

Overlays are images that can be overlaid on the game image. On mobile devices, they’re used for touch-control. On PCs, they’re used for effects and/or borders.

Cg shaders are shaders written in the Cg shader languague. This is the main format that RetroArch uses for shaders, though not all platforms support them.

GLSL shaders are shaders written in the GLSL shader language. These shaders are usable anywhere but they’re generally not favorable vs. Cg shaders, if you have a choice. They’re also machine-converted from Cg rather than hand-written, so they may be a little slower than their Cg counterparts (or maybe not; YMMV).

thanks that was really informative!