Key mapping instructions

I found these directions on line but I don’t understand something How to remap the controls for a single core or game:

• Start content with the core for which you want to remap controls
  • Go to Quick Menu and then Controls
  • Configure the buttons the way you want
  • Select Save Core Remap File

When mentioned here … Save Core Remap File Is that the same as SAVE CORE OVERIDES.? Forgive my stupid question…

Quick Menu
    └ Controls
        └ Save *** Remap File

is not the same as

Quick Menu
    └ Overrides
        └ Save *** Overrides

Remap File is only for control remaps and the latter is for the rest (video/audio settings, aspect ratio, core specific settings etc…)

Please note that shaders have a different way to save them:

Quick Menu
    └ Shaders
        └ Save
            └ Save *** Preset
1 Like

Ok following your instructions when I make changes to the key mappping does these changes ONLY affect the certain system I want it to affect and Not other systems?
Example I make key map changes for Sega Genesis but I use retro arch for also ninetendo SNES, Ect. The changes I make only changed for Sega is that so or does my changes affect ALL my systems ?

Have you looked at the settings?

You can save per Core, Content Directory, or Game.

• Core = e.g. “Genesis Plus GX” (Genesis / Sega CD / Master System / Game Gear)
  • Content Directory = e.g. “Sega - Mega Drive - Genesis” directory
  • Game = e.g. “Sonic The Hedgehog (USA, Europe).zip”

Ok following your instructions (/t/key-mapping-instructions/25832/2)

Quick Menu └ Controls └ Save *** Remap File

And I want to add Panasonic 3DO to Retroarch if I follow these instructions 

Quick Menu
    └ Controls
        └ Save *** Remap File

```Will It also change the key mapping I made for Vectrex????

This Is Something I Don’t Want To Happen

Anyone understand RetroArch?

I found these instructions

Start content with the core for which you want to remap controls Go to Quick Menu and then Controls Configure the buttons the way you want Select Save Core Remap File But when I follow these instructions it also charges the key mapping for my other cores!!!

And now when I goto the Vectrex core to change back the key mapping it will accept my changes but when I quit out of Retroarch and bring it back up the key mapping has reverted back and my corrections for Vectrex are back to the way they where when he are wrong

What am I doing wrong? All I wanna do is set up to work both Vectrex using Retroarch and Panasonic 3DO also using Retroarch

The remapping in Quick Menu > Controls should only affect that core. You need to ‘save a core remap file’ to make it persist across sessions.

Hunter I tried that. I go keymap the keys for Panasonic 3DO then goto to quick the save key map

I quit out of Panasonic and goto Vectrex and the changes for the key map Panasonic are now reflected on Vectrex. And all my Old key maps that is set up for Vectrex are altered. It is then a monster pain to put it back the way it was I have the key maps for Vectrex

The only way I can get the changes to stick is to go to save config file and then Vectrex. Is fine but when I try and rekey map Panasonic this nightmare begins all over again!!!

Let me ask you this question let’s say for a moment retro arch the program is corrupted would it be possible from another computer to download another copy of retro arch set it up the way I want take those files and copy them onto the computer that is in my game cabinet onto retro arch files that is there ( over write the existing files I have on my game cab with the files from another computer …will it work? Or would I have to completely uninstall retro arch. And then set up a fresh copy of retro arch onto my game cabinet computer

Making a hodgepodge installation is usually not the best plan, as you could end up with config files pointing to the wrong locations, etc. However, there’s not much risk in just backing up your current installation and trying whatever you want and if it goes sour, just wipe it out and switch back to the backup.

Ok here’s what I did I have another computer with Retroarch on it ver 1.8.2 I downloaded the Vectrex core key mapped the keys and made sure that from game to game the key map is stable I even exited out of Retroarch and brought the Vectrex core up and the key mapping didn’t change(bear in mind when I did set up the key mapping I then went to quick menu>controls>save core remap file)

Now I bring up the 3DO core and proceed to key map those keys(the key mapping is different for Vectrex and For 3DO) I did quick menu>controls>save core remap file. And what do you know? IT DIDN’T SAVE!!! I attempted to save the keymap for the 3DO core at least three time and it failed. It keeps reverting back to the key map I created for Vectrex!!!

Any ideas???

I guess get a log. Make sure the ‘config’ directory has proper permissions (e.g., make sure you’re not installing into Program Files).

I don’t understand. What i did on the other computer didn’t work either so my idea of over writing my retro arch files on my game cabinet would not help. I checked the config file and it is making RMP files one for vecx and for 4do

@Propdept i’m really sorry to hear that.
Don’t know if this problem is because of language barrier, but it seems, that it is definetively on your side.

Let’s start new.

Can you provide more details about your system?

• Operating system
  • Way how you installed RetroArch (installer, 7z, PPA …)
  • Path to your RetroArch installation

Make sure you close/restart RetroArch every time you make changes.

• Start RetroArch
  • Go to Settings - User - Language and change it to English to make sure you can follow my steps exactly
  • Set default controls in Settings - Input - Port 1 Binds
  • Close RetroArch
  • Start RetroArch
  • Launch a game with the GCE - Vectrex (vecx) core
  • Press (F1) to bring up the Quick Menu
  • Go to Controls - Port 1 Controls and change a few keys
  • In the Controls menu press Save Core Remap File
  • Close your game
  • Close RetroArch - DON’T CHANGE OTHER THINGS FOR NOW
  • Restart RetroArch and launch the game with GCE - Vectrex (vecx) again.
    • Does it have your changed keys preserved?
  • Close the game
  • Start a game with a different core
    • Does the keys are different? e.g. how you set them globaly in Settings - Input - Port 1 Binds?

@hunterk is it possible to merge the 2 threads regarding this topic for a better overview? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sure. Can you give me a link to the other one?

1 Like

[quote=“ImnoTapLumber, post:14, topic:25832”] Can you provide more details about your system?

• Operating system

Win 7 professional

• Way how you installed RetroArch (installer, 7z, PPA …) Downloaded from net and installed

• Path to your RetroArch installation C:Retroarch

OK last night I sat down I mapped a core Vectrex, And the key mapping saved I moved over to 3do change the keys. And the keys saved for 3DO But The keys changed for Vectrex Those keys are now map for 3DO. Each time I map a core I am going to save core remap for each system it seems to me that the changes that I make on one system affect the other system

I found these instructions

• Start content with the core for which you want to remap controls
  • Go to Quick Menu and then Controls
  • Configure the buttons the way you want
  • Select Save Core Remap File

But when I follow these instructions it also charges the key mapping for my other core!!!

What am I doing wrong?

Could you be more specific? Like, what core are you changing the controls for, and what cores do you see the changes at?

Vectrex Core and the Panasonic Core 4do. These are the only two cores I use and the other one changes when I remap I change Panasonic the core fir Vectrex changes and vise versa I am remapping buttons on my game cabinet