Key mapping instructions

Ok here’s what I did I have another computer with Retroarch on it ver 1.8.2 I downloaded the Vectrex core key mapped the keys and made sure that from game to game the key map is stable I even exited out of Retroarch and brought the Vectrex core up and the key mapping didn’t change(bear in mind when I did set up the key mapping I then went to quick menu>controls>save core remap file)

Now I bring up the 3DO core and proceed to key map those keys(the key mapping is different for Vectrex and For 3DO) I did quick menu>controls>save core remap file. And what do you know? IT DIDN’T SAVE!!! I attempted to save the keymap for the 3DO core at least three time and it failed. It keeps reverting back to the key map I created for Vectrex!!!

Any ideas???

I guess get a log. Make sure the ‘config’ directory has proper permissions (e.g., make sure you’re not installing into Program Files).

I don’t understand. What i did on the other computer didn’t work either so my idea of over writing my retro arch files on my game cabinet would not help. I checked the config file and it is making RMP files one for vecx and for 4do

@Propdept i’m really sorry to hear that.
Don’t know if this problem is because of language barrier, but it seems, that it is definetively on your side.

Let’s start new.

Can you provide more details about your system?

• Operating system
  • Way how you installed RetroArch (installer, 7z, PPA …)
  • Path to your RetroArch installation

Make sure you close/restart RetroArch every time you make changes.

• Start RetroArch
  • Go to Settings - User - Language and change it to English to make sure you can follow my steps exactly
  • Set default controls in Settings - Input - Port 1 Binds
  • Close RetroArch
  • Start RetroArch
  • Launch a game with the GCE - Vectrex (vecx) core
  • Press (F1) to bring up the Quick Menu
  • Go to Controls - Port 1 Controls and change a few keys
  • In the Controls menu press Save Core Remap File
  • Close your game
  • Close RetroArch - DON’T CHANGE OTHER THINGS FOR NOW
  • Restart RetroArch and launch the game with GCE - Vectrex (vecx) again.
    • Does it have your changed keys preserved?
  • Close the game
  • Start a game with a different core
    • Does the keys are different? e.g. how you set them globaly in Settings - Input - Port 1 Binds?

@hunterk is it possible to merge the 2 threads regarding this topic for a better overview? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sure. Can you give me a link to the other one?

1 Like

[quote=“ImnoTapLumber, post:14, topic:25832”] Can you provide more details about your system?

• Operating system

Win 7 professional

• Way how you installed RetroArch (installer, 7z, PPA …) Downloaded from net and installed

• Path to your RetroArch installation C:Retroarch

OK last night I sat down I mapped a core Vectrex, And the key mapping saved I moved over to 3do change the keys. And the keys saved for 3DO But The keys changed for Vectrex Those keys are now map for 3DO. Each time I map a core I am going to save core remap for each system it seems to me that the changes that I make on one system affect the other system

I found these instructions

• Start content with the core for which you want to remap controls
  • Go to Quick Menu and then Controls
  • Configure the buttons the way you want
  • Select Save Core Remap File

But when I follow these instructions it also charges the key mapping for my other core!!!

What am I doing wrong?

Could you be more specific? Like, what core are you changing the controls for, and what cores do you see the changes at?

Vectrex Core and the Panasonic Core 4do. These are the only two cores I use and the other one changes when I remap I change Panasonic the core fir Vectrex changes and vise versa I am remapping buttons on my game cabinet

Ok here’s what I did I have another computer with Retroarch on it ver 1.8.2 I downloaded the Vectrex core key mapped the keys and made sure that from game to game the key map is stable I even exited out of Retroarch and brought the Vectrex core up and the key mapping didn’t change(bear in mind when I did set up the key mapping I then went to quick menu>controls>save core remap file)

Now I bring up the 3DO core and proceed to key map those keys(the key mapping is different for Vectrex and For 3DO) I did quick menu>controls>save core remap file. And what do you know? IT DIDN’T SAVE!!! I attempted to save the keymap for the 3DO core at least three time and it failed. It keeps reverting back to the key map I created for Vectrex!!!

Any ideas???

Try the following:

• Rename your retroarch.cfg to retroarch.cfg.bak (to restore it after this test)
  • Start RetroArch
  • Go to Settings - Input - Port 1 Binds and configure your controls
  • Restart RetroArch
  • Start a game with the core you want to change the controls
  • Press your hotkey for the Quick Menu (default F1)
  • Change your controls
  • Save a core remap file
  • Check if in ``RetroArch/config/remaps/` a *.rmp file is generated

Now only the core with the saved remap file should have new controls. All other cores are using the ones you defined in Settings - Input - Port 1 Binds

UPDATE 6:53 pm I followed your instruction above but I did check and the system is making an RMP file. One for 4do.rmp and vecx.rmp

And what ever keymap is for vectrex is the Same key map for 3DO I just tried deleting the remap files and I made sure that the remap files are not read only And made new remap files. And tried bring up a core It clearly says…GAME REMAP FILE LOADED

But it DOESNT MATTER both core Are mapped the same

This forum software sucks for merging threads. It just plopped all of the posts from the last thread onto the end of this one >_>

C:\RetroArch is probably not a good place, as it causes weird permissions. Try moving your installation to somewhere user-writeable, like your Documents folder.

• Start RetroArch

• Go to Settings - User - Language and change it to English to make sure you can follow my steps exactly

• Set default controls in Settings - Input - Port 1 Binds

• Close RetroArch

• Start RetroArch

• Launch a game with the GCE - Vectrex (vecx) core

• Press (F1) to bring up the Quick Menu

• Go to Controls - Port 1 Controls and change a few keys

• In the Controls menu press Save Core Remap File

• Close your game

• Close RetroArch - DON’T CHANGE OTHER THINGS FOR NOW

• Restart RetroArch and launch the game with GCE - Vectrex (vecx) again.

• Does it have your changed keys preserved?

YES! They are save I have done this many times already!

• Close the game

• Start a game with a different core

• Does the keys are different? e.g. how you set them globaly in Settings - Input - Port 1 Binds ?

At this stage before I remap this differnet Core 4DO, the keys appear mapped EXACTLY as I mapped them for Vectrex…

What you are not grasping is that when I bring up another core and make key map changes. It affects Vectrex

Ok what I will do is uninstall retro arch from c: and reinstall it in my Hyperspin folder

Where is that located? it needs to be somewhere in your user path.

It will be in c:hyperspin\Retroarch

I originally had Retroarch in my Hyperspin folder (months ago) before and took it out but before it worked fine I recently reinstalled retro arch back on my win 7 system as c:Retroarch But for this issue I will have it in the Hyperspin folder

Can you please post the content of your VecX.rmp and the 4DO.rmp as well?
I have a slight suspicion…