Hi everyone !!
In my quest for lag-free retro-gaming, I’m still not 100% happy although I do appreciate A LOT the efforts made so far.
When using a proper GFX card, like an Nvidia one, the situation is not optimal :
- you either use Lakka but have to use the open source drivers that are very far from the proprietary ones, which raises tons of issues
- you either use a regular Linux distro but you have the choice between
- use X + OpenGL and you have more lag than with KMS (and triple buffering is forced)
- use X + Vulkan but I’m not sure this is better as far as lag is concerned (does it apply double buffering ?)
- use X-free Vulkan context + Vulkan : it DOES work but you can either start the menu or a single game but not start a game via the menu as it seems some kind or resource is not freed
- use console KMS but it segfaults
- use Wayland but it raises other issues (X-wayland adds even more input lag ; Wayland is not properly supported with Nvidia + Kwin etc…)
Those issues were double checked under Arch Linux & Ubuntu LTS + latest Retroarch + latest Nvidia proprietary drivers.
My question / bounty suggestion is : are some other Nvidia users looking for a lag-free experience ? Wouldn’t it be possible to make a special Lakka image (or include it in the regular) that would include Nvidia proprietary drivers + fix the Vulkan context (or KMS) related issues ?