Laptop Arrow-keys Issues

System: Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Hardware: Dell XPS15 L501x

Keyboard is an inbuilt one, no num-pad

Fresh install of RetroArch 1.2.2 (x64). Run retroarch.exe. Arrow-keys don’t work, unless SHIFT is held down. I can manually edit .retroarchcfg to use ‘ijkl’ instead of ‘up,left,down,right’, and they work. But would prefer to use the arrow-keys.

Things I’ve tried: [ul] [li]changing the input driver to both sdl and null [/li][li]changing the input bind mode to RetroKeyboard instead of RetroPad. For some reason, this doesn’t stick after a RetroArch restart [/li][li]changing the key binding. If bind mode is RetroKeyboard, the key binding accepts the arrow-button press, and sets it to keypad8 (for up), but pressing up in the GUI afterwards has no affect. If RetroPad is the bind mode, the key binding doesn’t respond to the arrow keys at all, and I have to press Return to exit [/li][/ul]

Have tried the above on 1.2.1, 1.2.0, the nightlies, both x64 and x86 versions

Anybody got any suggestions?

Nobody? :frowning:

It sounds like your machine’s arrow keys are set to something weird (i.e., kp8 instead of the actual arrows), presumably to save space on the keyboard…? I don’t think there’s anything retroarch can really do about that, unfortunately.

As for the changes not sticking after a restart, are you closing using the ‘quit retroarch’ option from the menu? If not, it’s probably not getting a chance to write the changes to the config file, which it does during exit.

Using “quit retroarch” from the menu. Other values are being persisted, it just seems to be “bind mode” that isn’t. Do you know what the name of that option is in the .cfg file? Could try manually setting it before start-up

If it was just that they were set oddly, it shouldn’t really matter. When I’m setting the bind for e.g. “up”, for example, retroarch is receiving an input of kp8. That’s not a big deal. But then when I press (what retroarch thinks is) kp8 in the menu, it doesn’t recognise it. It’s very strange/frustrating

Oh, yeah, bind mode doesn’t persist. That’s only there to tell retroarch what inputs to listen for when trying to map.

Dunno what else to tell you about the keyboard thing. RA doesn’t usually care whether shift is/isn’t held, so there must be something going on with the keyboard’s firmware.

Bind Mode doesn’t exist anymore.

To the OP: please do yourself a favour and test nightly builds. Stable is beyond useless at this point and it will be updated soon with an ‘official’ version.

Fresh install of today’s nightly (2015-11-16), requires lshift to be held for the arrow keys to work. Go into input binds for user 1, select D-pad Up, press up arrow key, it displays “kepypad8” on the binding, but up key no longer works, regardless of whether lshift is held

Arrow keys has never mapped correctly from the GUI. It’s a problem with the kbd driver.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but will the Arrow keys map correctly fro within the EMU / Core? If that is the case can the cfg files just be edited manually?

I have it even worse. Apparently I was able to use 5, 1(end), 2, 3(pgdn) as arrow keys by changing the settings in retroarch. However it only worked for the retroarch menu itself. I went to load Ocarina of Time and while the A and B button along with the START button worked the arrows did nothing in the game. Can anybody help(I am to new to this forum to post my own thread).