Latest trick to getting RA 64bit to run on Vista?

According to a thread from a while back, the culprit behind a certain KERNEL32.DLL crash in Vista was identified, but a true correction was deemed untenable. In that same thread, methods were discovered for forcing RetroArch 64-bit to run successfully in Vista regardless, by making use of certain DLLs found in the last non-buggy RetroArch, 1.3.0.

That method doesn’t work with today’s RetroArch.

In point of fact, two of the replacement DLLs (avcodec-56.dll, avformat.56.dll) no longer even share the same name, and the third (libx265.dll) is only half the size of the current libx.265.dll and RetroArch, understandably, complains about missing functions when the replacement is made regardless.

Try using one of the msvc builds instead.

Before I see if this works in Vista… I have immediately noticed that shaders don’t seem to work at all with this build. With shaders enabled and a shader specified in the cfg, not only does no shader get applied, but I also cannot cycle through the shaders, and when I try to load one up, they are all invisible.

Is this intended?

It may not have the Cg dependency bundled. Try the GLSL shaders.

You can check by running it from a command line like this: retroarch --features and it should list all of the capabilities.

Okay. Glsl shaders work on Win7.

The Msvc 64-bit works in Vista. However, using a (glsl) shader causes the screen to go black. Audio can still be heard. I tried half a dozen different ones (Sabr, Xbr, Xbrz, etc.) just to be sure.

And yeah, in --features I can see that Cg has no driver in this build.

Edit: Skip this one. I did what I probably should have from the beginning and overwrote Vista with Win7.