Lateste MAME (0.197) Runahead feature

Hi all,

So I was trying the new runahead feature and it is almost a miracle, but I noticed that it does not work on MAME (0.197). I imagine it is because that version of MAME does not have save states. I tried with MAME 2003 and, while some games have problems, the runahead does work when save states are also working.

So I guess my question would be why the latest MAME does not have save states enabled? I tried searching the forums but could only find mentions of of save states in 2003. Good old beat-em-ups would surely be better with zero input lag.

It is a shame as that could fix the 1 frame lag that is already reported in current MAME. (My setup usually has 3-4 frames of input lag, probably the 1 from MAME and another 2 from the games themselves. I do have a good cpu so I don’t think it’s lack of processing power that is causing input lag).

Thanks!

3 Likes

I would also like to know what are the latest MAME cores that support runahead. I’ve tried using FBA for this, but I get nasty audio glitches that I cannot seem to get rid of.

1 Like