Libretro-Flycast (Retroarch) Crashes to Desktop, Standalone Doesn't

When using the Flycast Core in Retroarch to play Dreamcast games, the emulator crashes to desktop giving me a “driver timeout” error. This error does not occur for any other emulator or game, and I’ve stress tested the GPU just to be sure, it’s completely stable.

To isolate the issue to the Libretro version, I downloaded a nightly standalone version of Flycast and it’s playing my Dreamcast games just fine. This leads me to believe there is some kind of driver conflict between the Libretro Flycast core, Retroarch, and my GPU. If anyone has any recommendations for steps to take to resolve the issue it would be greatly appreciated.

For what it’s worth, I didn’t have this issue using different GPUs in the past, including an AMD 5500 XT and Nvidia RTX 2080. My current card is an RX 6800 XT.

have you tried using the vulkan driver?

some cores using much memory may crash when closing or switching from desktop to full screen. what is your system ?

Any luck with this? I have a 6900XT and have the exact same issue

I never actually figured out what the issue was. It was the last issue before my emulator was finally up and running so I’m just using the standalone version of Flycast.

I think it should be working now. I’m not sure when exactly it was fixed, but flycast now works for me without any issues at all where previously I had the same issue on 6000 series AMD cards.

1 Like