Libretro PPA for Ubuntu

I am on Ubuntu 20.04 and flycast crashes when I start a game up right after the intro of the game. And do I need a BIOS for sega model roms or do they just work on any arcade emulators on there

I dont know if my problem fits under this topic.

But I have tried adding libretro PPA to my apt-get sources list, but after that it still downloads the retroarch from ubuntu servers, not from libretro.

And my main problem is that, even if I download all cores from update menu, they appear in core-directory, then update database. Then scan all of my roms, NES, N64, Sega, Genesis, etc. Only NES, N64 appear to menu.

So is there a way to get genesis to show up? I tried load content also, but there is no sega cores at all.

Retroarch works perfectly in my RaspberryPi 2 but its too slow for example mario64, so I am trying to get it to work on my old laptop, running ubuntu.

This should work for you.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libretro/stable -y; sudo apt install retroarch -y; sudo apt upgrade -y

I correct, if you follow these instructions, you will not have a problem -> https://retroarch.com/index.php?page=linux-instructions

For all the lists to appear, it is best to do a manual scan.

Is the flatpak version officially supported by retroarch developers?

Sure is. The snap is also supported, but I recommend the official appimage builds from buildbot.libretro.com for the most normal experience (i.e., since you donā€™t have to deal with any weird flatpak/snap sandboxing).

Hey Libretro community and RA team, is there an ETA for RA 1.9.3 on the stable PPA?

Thereā€™s something holding it up that Iā€™m waiting for feedback on how best to handle it. If I donā€™t hear back soon, Iā€™m just going to do whatever hacky mess I need to do to get it going :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I get a segmentation fault error when trying to run RetroArch 1.9.3 from the stable PPA on Ubuntu 21.04. Trying without a config file doesnā€™t work either. The PPA didnā€™t have version 1.9.1 or 1.9.2 for 21.04, but 1.9.0 worked without issue. The log just says this:

[INFO] RetroArch 1.9.3 (Git 122be0cc64) [INFO] === Build ======================================= [INFO] CPU Model Name: IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz [INFO] Capabilities: MMX MMXEXT SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE4 SSE4.2 AES AVX [INFO] Built: May 28 2021 [INFO] Version: 1.9.3 [INFO] Git: 122be0cc64 [INFO] ================================================= [INFO] [Input]: Found input driver: ā€œxā€. [INFO] [Environ]: SET_PIXEL_FORMAT: RGB565. [INFO] Version of libretro API: 1 [INFO] Compiled against API: 1 [INFO] [Audio]: Set audio input rate to: 48000.00 Hz. [INFO] [Video]: Video @ 960x720

Looks like the PPA got updated again, and the issue seems to be fixed. So whomever fixed it, thanks!

1 Like

Hello.

Iā€™m on Linux Mint 20.1 and Iā€™ve recently tried to install RA via the PPA method instead of the usual flatpak route. The line Iā€™m running is the same as the one indicated here:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libretro/stable && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install retroarch*

The issue Iā€™m having is the folowing:

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 retroarch-dbg : Depends: retroarch (= 1.9.2-r202105021333-bc23d070de-110~ubuntu20.04.1) but 1.9.6-r202106280905+0a5fd837a2-139~ubuntu20.04.1 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Apparently, itā€™s due to the fact that I need to install RA 1.9.2 first, though Iā€™m not sure on how I would do so. Help is greatly appreciated.

Looks like they have a package called retroarch-dbg in their repositories, so the wildcard ā€œretroarch*ā€ is triggering that package, which depends on their non-dbg 1.9.2 package, and thatā€™s conflicting with the 1.9.6 package from the PPA. Frustratingā€¦

Well, anyway, shouldnā€™t be too big of an issue, just install the packages individually instead of using the wildcard. That is, do apt-cache search retroarch and just install the ones you want, and then do the same thing for libretro and pick the cores you want.

Thanks for your reply.

I see, is retroarch-dbg needed in any way? Iā€™m using the AppImage version for now, itā€™s good enough for me at the moment, but Iā€™ll follow your suggestion.

Not really. The dbg build just has debugging symbols included, so it can help withā€¦ debugging.

Hey,

I have a strange Problem with Retroarch under Lubuntu (21.10)

With the older 5.11 Kernel it ran like a charm (no issues or crashes at all), with the 5.13 kernel the games crash/freeze after roughly a minute of playing with a beeping noise from the speakers.

Does anybody know what could cause this issue?

I use an Asus E200HA with an Intel Z8300 APU. (Cherrytrail)

The Log ended like this, could it be a driver or Kernel bug?

[ERROR] [Wayland]: Failed to connect to Wayland server.
[INFO] [Vulkan]: Vulkan dynamic library loaded.
[INFO] [Vulkan]: Found vulkan context: vk_x
[INFO] [Vulkan]: Detecting screen resolution 1366x768.
[INFO] [X/Vulkan]: Window manager is Openbox.
[INFO] [XINERAMA]: Xinerama version: 1.1.
[INFO] [XINERAMA]: Xinerama screens: 1.
[INFO] [X/Vulkan]: Using Xinerama on screen #0.
[INFO] [X/Vulkan]: X = 0, Y = 0, W = 1366, H = 768.
[INFO] [X/Vulkan]: Using windowed fullscreen.
[INFO] [Vulkan]: Found GPU at index 0: Intel(R) HD Graphics (CHV)
[INFO] [Vulkan]: Found GPU at index 1: llvmpipe (LLVM 12.0.1, 128 bits)
[INFO] [Vulkan]: Using GPU index 0.
[INFO] [Vulkan]: Using semaphores for WSI acquire.
[INFO] [Vulkan]: Using GPU: Intel(R) HD Graphics (CHV)
[INFO] [Vulkan]: Queue family 0 supports 1 sub-queues.
[INFO] [Vulkan]: Using resolution 1362x704
[INFO] [Vulkan]: Using BGRA8888 format.
[INFO] [Vulkan]: Loading stock shader.
[INFO] [udev]: Pad #0 (/dev/input/event16) supports force feedback.
[INFO] [udev]: Pad #0 (/dev/input/event16) supports 16 force feedback effects.
[INFO] [Joypad]: Found joypad driver: "udev".
[INFO] [Font]: Using font rendering backend: freetype.
[INFO] [DBus]: Suspended screensaver via DBus.
[INFO] [Video]: Found display server: x11
[INFO] [PulseAudio]: Requested 24576 bytes buffer, got 50664.
[INFO] [Display]: Found display driver: "vulkan".
[INFO] [Environ]: SET_SUBSYSTEM_INFO.
[libretro INFO] [FBNeo] Unknown device type for port 0, forcing "Classic" instead
[libretro INFO] [FBNeo] Unknown device type for port 1, forcing "Classic" instead
[INFO] [Playlist]: Lade Verlaufs-Datei: [/home/stefan/.config/retroarch/content_history.lpl].
[INFO] [Playlist]: Lade Verlaufs-Datei: [/home/stefan/.config/retroarch/content_music_history.lpl].
[INFO] [Playlist]: Lade Verlaufs-Datei: [/home/stefan/.config/retroarch/content_video_history.lpl].
[INFO] [Playlist]: Lade Verlaufs-Datei: [/home/stefan/.config/retroarch/content_image_history.lpl].
[INFO] [Playlist]: Favoritendatei wird geladen: [/home/stefan/.config/retroarch/content_favorites.lpl].
[INFO] [Environ]: SET_INPUT_DESCRIPTORS:
[INFO] [X/Vulkan]: Resized fullscreen resolution to 1362x704.
[INFO] [Vulkan]: Destroying stale acquire semaphore.
[INFO] [X/Vulkan]: Resized fullscreen resolution to 1366x768.

Thanks a lot in advance! :slight_smile:

1 Like

just to let you know, it is many days that retroarch build fails on libretro ubuntu nightly ppaā€¦

https://launchpadlibrarian.net/579972920/buildlog_ubuntu-impish-amd64.retroarch_1.9.14-r202201130303+c9a72fadab-152~ubuntu21.10.1_BUILDING.txt.gz

thanks for the heads-up. It looks like itā€™s choking on the --enable-miniupnp configure option, which was removed recently. Iā€™ll get that fixed later today.