Light Gun API Core Findings

dinput should work with device_pointer mode, winraw do not have device_pointer_api support… not sure whats going on there if dinput is not woking in you end. what pointer hardware are you using? can you try to use regular mouse?

sdl should possibly work too.

I did I have 3 ways of resting these cores:

Option 1: 2 - aimtraks setup as mice. I typically sit in front of my cab and test with both aimtraks These in rawinput mode are device 0 and 1

Option 2: 1 - u track (Trackball) setup as a mouse. This in raw input mode is device 2

Option 3: The third way I test is via remote desktop. I typically remote desktop in launch the game and have it use the RDP mouse device ID for rawinput/dinput is 0 and always works from the testing I have done.

Thanks so much for your help with the fceumm core settings btw I am liking the core now!

youll like it more if you can make it work with pointer mode instead since this feels more natural and follows the system cursor, or at least this is my preference mode when shooting ducks and clays

Takes, me a while to get there but I get there… :slight_smile: I see what you are saying I switched fceumm to dinput and pointer mode and it is smooth as butter. That is how it is supposed to be. That is awesome. So thank you for that! Will up date my notes on that one. Thanks a million!

1 Like

Ok I think I figured out why the mouse in remote desktop works fine vs the light gun. Which I believe has to do with this open issue:

Absolute vs Relative pathing of the devices. Looks like the light guns in windows use different pathing than the regular mouse and that needs to be converted. So looks like I may need to wait for that to be fixed before proceeding further.

1 Like

i am not sure what they are doing there, since pointer api in udev and i think winrar now is broken as it now does not follow the system cursor as it was before. its behaving similar to how mouse mode is…

higan Accuracy - 106 - Windows

SuperScope: No

Justifier: No

Justifiers:: No

nSide Balanced - 106 - Windows

Multi-Mouse: No

SuperScope: No

Justifier: No

Justifiers: No

Snes9x - 1.54.1 18b5fee - Windows

SuperScope: Working (Yoshi Island)

Justifier: Not Working (Lethal Enforcers)

Snes9x 2010 - 1.52.4 48eebb 0 - Windows

SuperScope: No, Shoots in middle of screen no movement (Yoshi Island)

Justifier: No Shoots off screen somewhere

Justifiers: No Shoots off screen somewhere

Compiled List:

Snes9x 2010 - 1.52.4 48eebb 0 - Windows

SuperScope: No, Shoots in middle of screen no movement (Yoshi Island)

Justifier: No Shoots off screen somewhere (Lethal Enforcers)

Justifiers: No Shoots off screen somewhere (Lethal Enforcers)

Notes: Too fast with Lightgun, Works fine with Mouse

Dinput/Raw Tested.

Snes9x - 1.54.1 18b5fee - Windows

SuperScope: Working (Yoshi Island)

Justifier: Not Working (Lethal Enforcers)

Notes: Too fast with Lightgun, Works fine with Mouse

Dinput/Raw Tested.

nSide Balanced - 106 - Windows

SuperScope: No (Yoshi Island)

Justifier: No (Lethal Enforcers)

Justifiers: No (Lethal Enforcers)

Dinput/Raw Tested.

higan Accuracy - 106 - Windows

SuperScope: No (Yoshi Island)

Justifier: No(Lethal Enforcers)

Justifiers:: No (Lethal Enforcers)

Dinput/Raw Tested.

Genesis Plus GX - 1.7.4 69b2c0c - Windows

Multi-Mouse: no

MD Justifiers: no (Lethal Enforcers)

MD Menancer: no (Menacer 6 Pack)

MS Light Phaser: shoots in center of screen only (Laser Ghost)

Notes works sometimes with dinput driver very unpredictable. Works better with RA 1.6.7 with dinput driver.

bsns C++98 (v085) - windows

SuperScope: Works Fine ( Yoshi Safari) (Too fast with Lightgun, Works fine with Mouse)

Justifier: Works Fine (Lethal Enforcers) (Too fast with Lightgun, Works fine with Mouse)

Justifiers: One works (Lethal Enforcers) (Too fast with Lightgun, Works fine with Mouse)

dinput/rawinput drivers tested.

Beetle Saturn: .9.48 - Windows

Multi-Mouse: Get a second cross hair that is it.

Stunner: Works fine (Virtual Cop)

Virtua Gun:Works fine (Virtual Cop)

Raw input driver used

Beetle PSX .9.44.1 - Windows

Multi-Mouse: not working

Guncon / G-Con 45: Works Fine (Time Crisis)

Justifier: Works Fine (Area 51)

Raw input driver used

bsnes-mercury (Accuracy/Balanced/Performance): v094 - Windows

Multi-Mouse: - not working

SuperScope: Works (Battle Clash) Sensitivity needs to be adjusted down. Tested Yoshi Safari with this core and crashes retroarch on my setup fyi.

Justifier: Works (T2 The Arcade Game) Sensitivity needs to be adjusted down(dont think you can). Tested a second time and could not get it working again. Tested on Lethal enforcers and shoots but could not get offscreen reload to work and button set for reload did not work.

Justifiers: Only 1 Gun Works (T2 The Arcade Game) Sensitivity needs to be adjusted down(dont think you can.). Tested on Lethal enforcers too and works. When I tested balanced/performance justifier/s stopped working properly so sticking with accuracy.

bsnes (Accuracy/Balanced/Performance)v094 - Windows

Multi-Mouse: n/a

SuperScope: Yoshi Safari - works fine needs to have sensitivity adjusted down(dont think you can).

Justifier: Works.

Justifiers: One gun works.

FCEUmm SVN 5106649 - WIndows

Multi-Mouse: not working

Zapper: Working (duck hunt tested)

Quick Menu - Options - zapper mode - pointer, Also change input driver to dinput

Nestopia UE - 1.49 WIP 754d283

Zapper: Works fine(Duck Hunt), there is not a zapper setting it just works device 1 set as retropad when I tested and none for device 2

Note: too fast with lightgun works fine with mouse.

@casdevel I remember that you don’t have much opportunity to work on the mouse input system currently, but I want to tag you because there is some pretty thorough testing happening in this thread.

Guys, I just noticed today that my mouse no longer controls shots in Super Scope games. I tested with Battle Clash and Metal Combat.

Is there a setting I need to change to make it work?

Edit: Just figured out you now have to map these controls in the input settings, apparently. :slight_smile:

Snes has been hit or miss reloading the game sometimes makes it work I think.

So I’ve found that, for some reason, the Zapper mouse support for Nestopia UE (version 1.49-WIP b499024, RetroArch v1.7.0, Linux Mint 18) only partially works. Specifically, it shows and moves the crosshairs around just fine, but clicking the mouse buttons does nothing. And it doesn’t seem to matter at all what input plugin I use, because it’s same with all of them (or rather, all of them which actually recognize the mouse). On the other hand, FCEUmm doesn’t have this problem, with the Zapper working perfectly fine when the appropriate device is set to Zapper.

1 Like

Hi there,

I am running Retroarch 1.6.9 via RetroPie on my x64 Ubuntu Mate installation. Using beetle-psx-libretro I am having trouble using my mouse for certain light gun games. Namely Time Crisis - on the menu you can see the crosshair and start the game, but once the rendering starts in 3D, the crosshair disappears, however I can still control the game with the mouse, but with no crosshair visible it’s impossible to hit targets.

If I change my input device from mouse back to the controller, the crosshair comes back again.

Other emulators such as beetle-saturn, fceumm etc seem to work fine.

I also tried the game ‘Area 51’, and this works absolutely fine. But it is a 2D render I understand, so that kind of rings true with it partially working in Time Crisis, under the 3D render starts.

I have tried both software and hardware render modes, as well as different input drivers, but I get the same result every time.

Does anyone have any idea what might be up? Do I need to be on RA 1.7.0, was there additional support added since 1.6.9? Beetle is fully up to date.

Cheers!

Yes there were meaningful changes in light gun support between 1.6.9 and 1.7.0, but I don’t know if that will solve your issue.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I did see there were some changes, I will try to update my retroarch when I get chance.

I also tried Area 51, and that works fine, but is 2D. It only seems to happen during 3D rendering (crosshair disappears).

Can anyone replicate this with Time Crisis?

1 Like

Really i think you done a stellar job.

Hopefully theres something in the saturn code thats compatible and transferable for the others. Time Crisis dream lives on!

1 Like

@dougan78, @esoptron and others – this is such a useful reference!

I have taken the liberty of removing the RetroArch version number from the thread title so folks realize that this is the most current and comprehensive resource available regarding lightgun API implementation across the various cores.

1 Like