Linux RetroArch runtime for EVERY modern Distro with AppImage

I think most distro have a retroarch repository, so i’m not sure having a new way to get a prebuilt retroarch for linux help at all, especially if it’s buggy.

Anyway, i recommend building from source with correct configure options and cflags, so i really think having multiple ways to get unoptimized binary is a mess and a bad thing, sounds like something for a windows user…

I haven’t encountered any bugs, and it’s more up-to-date than the Ubuntu repository, so I like it. My system has nothing special on it, in fact, it’s a development machine, which would be more prone to break things up. I prefer an “official” binary release than using git or tracking the individual repositories and dependencies for building, though. Given the size of the project, makes it easier to report bugs. I know, I know, “works in my machine©”, but I really don’t see why the negativity.

[QUOTE=Razangriff-raven;48711]I haven’t encountered any bugs, and it’s more up-to-date than the Ubuntu repository, so I like it. [/QUOTE] have you tried this one?

@BarbuDreadMon Twinaphex has wanted to add the ability to update RetroArch through the online updater, and this could be a way to do that.

When using an updater for the Binaries you have the troubles with different dependencies on Linux systems again.

[QUOTE=BarbuDreadMon;48708]I think most distro have a retroarch repository, so i’m not sure having a new way to get a prebuilt retroarch for linux help at all, especially if it’s buggy.

Anyway, i recommend building from source with correct configure options and cflags, so i really think having multiple ways to get unoptimized binary is a mess and a bad thing, sounds like something for a windows user…[/QUOTE]

Please before saying it is buggy you should try it. If you checked the recipe, you would have seen it comes from Ubuntu ppa Libretro Testing/Nightly.

AppImage is an easy way to get RetroArch ready to use.

Please check what is exactly AppImageUpdate.

[QUOTE=Tux;48655]no but none of your other builds would work except for one that is 7.1mb in size.

Could Not Open Display "Home/user/Downloads/RetroArch-1.3.6+r444.glibc2.17-x86_64

There is no Application installed for executable file. Do you wan to search for an application to open this file?

i got that file from that site that you posted. shitty builds. Not Mediafire. i make a video and show it to you…[/QUOTE]

Please try with the latest package.

I have tested it and it is working well.

Your not helping…

and your lying and i still get the same error. You Lier! i even chmod it to and still give me that same error

Sorry for the negativity, i have been using Gentoo Linux for almost 15 years now, and was using “Linux From Scratch” before that, so i have a hard time understanding the whole “i love binaries, i want lots of them” business. I wouldn’t say i’m a microsoft hater (I had a nice time playing games like Age of Empire, Forza, or Ori and the blind forest), but i still think “windows-like” things should stay on windows.

1 Like

@BarbuDreadMon You can use the package you want, if you know how to compile your software and prefer this way but some users are beginner and they will find it more easier to use AppImage.

@Tux What error did you get ? If you download this package, it should be 229 MB and md5 checksum is 109a026a3f7f9ebdc4fec17ad54b662f or sha1sum is 25710669d605e029d455f7215dcb766691674bfc. On which distro are you trying it ?

You missed my point :

• Is there many distro not using apt-get / yum and targeted at beginner ?
  • Repositories with nightlies for apt-get / yum exist
  • AppImage doesn’t seem easier than using apt-get / yum.

Anyway, if it helps with the online updater stuff, i suppose it would be a good thing.

adding new repos to package managers can be daunting for new users, as well.

having to chmod the appimage is probably the biggest hurdle for a new user. I wonder if including a *.sh script that handles it would help, so they could double-click the script…? or do most distros disable double-clicking scripts by default these days?

You can make a .tar.gz from the “chmod a+x” edited AppImage. When decompressed the AppImage stays executable (.tar.gz remembers chmod) and you can pack e.g. a Readme.txt with it. Unpacking is easier then “chmod”. And *.sh scripts are not executable when they are not “chmod a+x” edited before compression. Seems also to work with standard *.zip files.

chmodding it and then dropping it into a .tar.gz with a readme sounds like a good plan to me. Will the binary diff updating still work like that?

With AppImage daemon, you don’t need anymore to make AppImage package executable, moreover it registers to the system (menu, icons, delta update).

The featured update option is very appealing. I am speaking from a non-technical user point of view.

Im in fedora 25 thanks for the appimage its works but i cant enable the vulkan render is that me or the build of the appimage is lacking of vulkan support ?

The AppImage needs a new build. They are sync from Libretro Testing/Nightly ppa.

Unfortunately, for now they come from Ubuntu Trusty so that it can run on 2014’s distro and Vulkan has been enabled from Ubuntu 16.04.

When I run AppImageUpdate on the AppImage, I always get the following at the end:

chmod: cannot access 'RetroArch-1.3.6%2Br487.glibc2.17-x86_64.AppImage': No such file or directory

Hi all.

I’m a long time RA user. I just stumbled across this thread and am intrigued.

I don’t know if this is even possible (if AppImage require a ‘full’ OS?), but I am trying to run the RA AppImage on OpenPHT Embedded Generic 1.7.1 and get the following error:

OpenPHT-Embedded:~/retroarch # ./RetroArch-1.3.6\+r487.glibc2.17-x86_64.AppImage

./bin//retroarch.wrapper: line 39: syntax error: unexpected "("

Does AppImage have certain underlying OS dependencies?

TIA!

John