Linux testers needed: multiple mice support (lightgun, steering wheel)

The big news this month is that casdevel added support for multiple mice to be used as light guns, spinners, steering sheels, etc. for cores that support such things to begin with.

I’ve been testing this functionality out in Windows, where the retroarch.cfg “input_driver” setting must be raw for multiple mice to work. Things seem to be working correct here.

Linux operating systems with access to the udev input driver should also be able to benefit from this new functionality, but there hasn’t been much testing to date.

Is anyone interested in testing this out? We are using Terminator 2 (term2.zip) with MAME 2003 as the benchmark ROM to test mouse inputs 1 and 2.

Other cores can also support multiple mice if their parent standalone emulator has support, although in some cases enabling multiple mice t will require updates to the libretro core .

You’ll need to use a recent builds of RetroArch that supports multiple mice, which you can tell based on whether there are Mouse Index settings for each player in the RetroArch input settings.

July 4 Update: If you download the most recent version of the MAME 2003 core from the online updater, it will have default button mappings for mice.

1 Like

Update: It’s no longer necessary to map the mouse buttons in the Tab menu if you download the latest buildbot version of MAME 2003 or rebuild it from source.

1 Like

I’m using the latest RA build from the testing-PPA, added a second mouse, and so far no joy. First tried just as is, and RA crashes when I press 2 (for a 2-player game), then tried and made ubuntu setup both as mice separately, and didn’t get a crash, but pressing the second mouse button (on the calibration screen) pauses the emulation

Thanks for helping with the testing process @te_lanus! Do you know how to create a log file to help with troubleshooting?

If you would be willing, could you make sure that:

1. You are using the latest version of RetroArch (it should say 1.6.1 or higher)
  2. You are using the latest version of the MAME 2003 core
  3. Your RetroArch input driver is set to udev

If that’s all true, could you join us in this github bug report? It would be useful to have you post a log. https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/5135