List of cores that support unzipping roms?

So apparently retroarch does not unzip .7z files in Snes9x core. No idea why, but I’ve heard that some cores support unzipping archives and some do not. Is there a defined list somewhere so I can optimize my storage?

Your question is pretty vague, are you asking about the core with native 7z support ? If so, i know 2 of them : fbalpha and reicast (for arcade roms, not dreamcast isos), i think mame support this too but i never tried.

On a sidenote :

• retroarch support unzipping (zip, not 7z), it will do that by default when encountering a zip file, however this feature isn’t friendly with zip which contains multiple file (multi-file isos, arcade roms, …).
  • some core will prevent the automatic unzipping because they have native zip support (they will read the zip as a block instead of unzipping it, to prevent the issue above), it includes fbalpha, reicast (arcade roms only, again), mame and kronos (supports zipped bin+cue)
  • some core support chd (converted isos, the compression ratio is better than zip/7z as long as there are enough audio tracks in the iso), it includes reicast, beetle-psx, beetle-saturn, i don’t know if there is any other.
1 Like

Thanks! Yeah I was refering to .7z support. I just unzipped everything so I don’t have to worry about the issue.

It’s supported 7z for a few years now. Works just like zip and works with the SNES9x core on Windows for me.