Little help for newbie

Let’s start from this that i was looking for some game boy emulator to play some pokemon red, and first place in google play was retro arch. I thiught it will be like other emulators so i was quite suprised ( cores ?? what is this ??) when i have no idea what i should do. And i bet ther’s a lot other’s like me so if someone who understand this program can create a tutorial for me and other’s like me. With some explenations what do what. Or link if such tutorial already exist.

In short, you launch the program, go to the online updater to download some cores (cores are typically emulators [e.g., gambatte and tgb-dual for gameboy], sometimes game engines [e.g., NXEngine and tyrquake] or self-contained games [e.g., 2048 and dinothawr]). Once you have a core, go to ‘load core’ and select it from the list, then go to ‘load content’ and browse to the appropriate ROM/game data/whatever (self-contained cores don’t need to load content and can be started with ‘start core’). That’s it.

The default control overlay is a kitchen-sink sort of deal, so you may want to switch to a gameboy-specific one instead. You can do this by going to the settings tab and navigating to ‘onscreen overlay’ and where it says ‘overlay preset,’ you can select different ones. I recommend any of the ‘flat’ options from the ‘gamepads’ directory.

Just to be up-front about it: RetroArch has a ton of settings and supports a ton of different cores, and this is its strength. If you just want to catch some pokemans and get frustrated by the complexity, RetroArch may not be the right tool for the job.

Ok i did as You said. And i was very excited to finally play. But here comes the problems. After loading core and finding the game i click run. And the apk just switch off. So i tried again and again. I even tried with other core (even for different console, yes i downloaded other ROM) and it’s always the same. Apk just switch of and i see my main screen. And now i’m worried that it’s becouse of my phone. Any advice what can i change in options to fix that ? Or am I just not able to use it ?

You asked about a tutorial, here:

Getting Started with RetroArch by radius

And here for the flat overlays, you can configure it in a way that RetroArch will load automatically for each libretro core.

What core are you using?

Um, just to make sure it’s not fault of the core i have downloaded and tested all for GB/GBC (Gambatte, Emux, TGB Dual ) and for GBA i have gpSP. Neither of them works.

gpSP needs the gba bios I think, also what roms are you using? Make sure to unzip them. Also try retroarch latest nightly.

Use mGBA instead, it’s fast and accurate. Use gpSP only if you have a really really really weak Android phone.

And Gambatte is the best bet for Game Boy and Game Boy Color games.

RetroArch opens only ZIP and 7z, it’ll crash if you try to load RAR and others.

Does it crash when i’m trying to load gb file ?

You mean the unzipped files? They are OK for retroarch.

yes i ment the unzipped, but when i used zip file as ROM it worked, so i think we can close this thread.