Load & Download A Core On Retro Arch Using Linux Mint

Deleted the Appimage folder and the RetroArch config folder under HOME/.config/retroarch.

Upon opening RetroArch you said it would appear indivisible. It appeared with the unreadable text.

I couldn’t update the Assets so I opened the terminal and ran the mini script. The command line returned a syntex error.

I missed a semicolon at the end, this is corrected:
sudo apt install p7zip-full -y; cd ~/.config/retroarch/assets/; wget https://buildbot.libretro.com/assets/frontend/assets.zip; 7z x assets.zip -y; rm assets.zip

each semicolon “;” is a command separation, it is the same as “&&”, if you see at the end, before “rm assets.zip”, it had two pasted, that was the error.

1 Like

The script worked!

I decided to remove the PPA. Now I’ll install the flatpac and install the cores that way as it will be easier says McCloud who’s helping me here:

It’s so nice to have help! :smiley:

But… You already had it. :joy:

They are all the same, “Flatpak” is good, use whichever one you feel more comfortable with.

1 Like

Thanks, I didn’t know.

Hi, if it helps anyone, I download the appimage version of Retroarch with all the cores from here https://buildbot.libretro.com/stable/1.15.0/linux/x86_64/

Place both files into a folder, expand the RetroArch.7z archive first, then expand the RetroArch_cores.7z archive and it will place the files into the folder along with Retroarch.

Then launch the appimage and all the cores are installed.

2 Likes

I’m using the AppImage so that’s done. I’ve tried going through the interface and used the online update as well.

hey, sorry, but we can’t have that link as it links to a site to download games and we don’t/can’t promote piracy here.

I haven’t installed it for a long time, but I think it has everything normal at startup...

there’s a more secretive reason the creator of retroarch , and even some Linux distros don’t want to easily allow the cores to be downloaded and installed in Linux.

please , i don’t want anyone telling me otherwise , i am an experienced level Linux user and wasted 2 days trying everything , only to find out there’s more to this than anyone’s saying.

what nobody wants to say, ill say it .

its probably because developers are scared they will more easily get sued for including access to cores under Linux. further,

im sure the creators of the st@#m deck have made threats against competition for their platform , and so here we are in a community that supposed to be open source, fun and Linux,

nobody is being honest about why the sources, and availabilities to the core downloads are being broken and in many cases blocked under Linux .

how are you. i had the same problem with ubuntu, and tried every which way to install retroarch. i really think theres a more secretive reason why they are intentionally leaving out the cores under linux.

theres a major issue in downloading the cores in many major linux distros. maybe it also has to do with devices that are confusing the package manager, such as newer arm8 devices that are also capable of running linux, like pi and orange pi .

lol I’m afraid the reasons are all very mundane and un-exciting and have nothing to do with being sued or competing with Valve.

Which distros?
In the updater settings you can see the download path, it is the same for all distros and all packages.

Ohhh!!!
I see the reasons.

I recommend you to change your provider, the … they sell you is bad.