Lr-fbalpha keyboard mapping

I’ve built an arcade cabinet powered by a raspberry pi 3b+ and am using an Ultimarc I-PAC Ultimate I/O to connect my joystick and buttons. I’m using a 2 player setup with 8 buttons each and additional buttons for save state and volume. The I-Pac is set to emulate a keyboard. I’ve hardcoded the configs/all/retroarch.cfg file to code the buttons the way I want and comment out or delete ones that I don’t use or are already used.

Most of my MAME games are working fine. However, on NEOGEO games (using final burn alpha as the emulator) I am unable to hardcode the configs/neogeo/retroarch.cfg or configs/fba/retroarch.cfg file. For some reason, it just won’t change.

What I want to do is change the orientation of the buttons to the “all in a row” that the original machine used instead of “two groups of two stacked”.

This is what the all core is coded to: input_player1_start = “num1” input_player1_select = “num5” input_player1_a = “ctrl” input_player1_b = “alt” input_player1_c = “space” input_player1_d = “shift”

This is what I want: input_player1_start = “num5” input_player1_select = “num1” input_player1_a = “ctrl” input_player1_b = “alt” input_player1_c = “z” input_player1_d = “c”

When I open a NEOGEO game and call the RGUI quick menu I get the following: User 1 device type RetroPad User 1 Analog to Digital None User 2 device type RetroPad User 2 device type None … B button (down) (Key: alt) Button B Y button (left) (Key: s ) Button C

When I try to change the User Device, it doesn’t show keyboard only the following: Retropad, Classic, Modern, None. When I try to change the buttons, it doesn’t let me press a key on my keyboard to accept the input.

This has got to be simple. What am I doing wrong?

Remaps (i.e., what you make in quick menu > controls) are for moving the core’s functions around on the retropad abstraction, which is where the Button B, Button Y, etc. stuff is coming from. It can’t listen for inputs, you have to cycle through the core’s functions in the right column using left/right.

Maybe I haven’t asked the question as well as I should have.

When I enter RGUI in Metal Slug for instance, there is no option in “User 1 Device Type” for a keyboard. It is set for a Retropad. If there was a Keyboard option, I would imagine that I could choose the button to remap and by using the joystick, move through the alphabet and other keyboard keys until I reached the key I was looking for.

In RGUI, on the Controls screen, it shows the following for the A, B, C and D buttons:

B button (down) (Key:alt) Button B Y button (left) (Key:shift) Button C A button (right) (Key:ctrl) Button A X button (top) (Key:space) Button D

So clearly, Retroarch is keeping up with both controllers and keyboards and both are referenced. What I want to find is where the code is set up to use “shift” and “space” and change them to keyboard characters “Z” and “C” respectively.

I like the shift and space buttons. Heck, I’m using them right now. I just don’t want any NeoGeo emulators to use them. I think the arcade machine and I would be much happier if they would use Z and C.