Make RetroArch switch Shader based on display output of the core?

Anyway to do this? I mean when the output is 240/224/288p, RetroArch loads a shader that has scanline and when it switches to 480i, it’ll load a deinterlacing one. Some of PS1 games for example are 480i in-menu and 240p in-game.

At the moment, we can save the shader profile for a specific game or core, but take a game like Ridge Racer 4. It’ll switch to 480i when in menu and to 240p when in game, so on a real CRT we’ll see scanline in game but not in the menu. Or Gran Turismo 2, there shouldn’t be a lot of these though…

Sure, lots of CRT shaders do exactly this.

I’ve previously gushed with love for CRT shaders that did scanlines on sub 400 line content, but applied (re)interlacing. Interlacing.slang being my all time favorite of course :slight_smile:

I’ve been thinking about using something along these lines though to apply scanlines at sub 400, but go with that traditional de-interlacing above that threshold. I haven’t looked into it yet though. DE interlacing is new to me in concept. Combing artifacts ahhhgg, I wish I’d never noticed them lol.

If you find a shader you like with this effect, you should post backm I’ll do the same.

@hunterk Oh, yeah? That’s great. I tried some of them before posting here and maybe I wasn’t really looking, but I think some of them still show scanlines in 480i. Will test it more when I get home. Thanks for replying.

@SkyHighGam3r Yeah man, they are great. I like bob deinterlacing method where the picture become jumpy, but not too much jumpy, only a little when you are really looking.

There are still scanlines in 480i, they’re just flickering on frame, and that’s how the shaders typically treat them.

However, crt-guest-dr-venom has some de/interlacing modes that get rid of them altogether similar to bobbing.

1 Like