Mame 2016?

Was this core removed recently because it sucks (lol) or has problems?

Wondering because it’s the one i use. Haven’t noticed any problems but id rather not be sing a core that isn’t good enough to be included in core updater hehe. :slight_smile:

It’s still available to build from here, though: https://github.com/libretro/mame2016-libretro

I use mame2014 for Cave SH3 games, FB Alpha for everything else.

Hmm. MAME 2016 was MAME 0.174 … and current was also available (was 0.188 i believe) along side it. Why not just leave 2016 alone and let current be, well… current?

Where was MAME 2016 removed from? MAME 2016 still has its own github repository and ought to be available.

I can suggest several reasons it might have been removed if you’d like.

• MAME is a huge C++ code base. It takes a while to build even on good hardware and the executable weighs in at more than 100mb. It also contains a lot of crap that’s of no use if you just want to play games, e.g. code for emulating cash registers.
  • As well as a physical cost to keep building the core, there is a maintenance burden for each new core added, the team and volunteers need to make sure it stays working on a range of different platforms.
  • The team didn’t see sufficient value in keeping the core. The other MAME cores meet certain performance requirements for specific hardware, or are useful due to having good support for specific games. Maybe there isn’t enough notable differences between 2014/2016/current romsets that 2016 being kept around is seen as worthwhile. 2010’s romset contains CPS3 while 2003’s doesn’t, 2014’s romset contains Cave SH3 while 2010’s doesn’t, 2016’s contains… idk, honestly. adb.arcadeitalia.net doesn’t show anything that particularly stands out.

@markwkidd it’s not in some buildbot recipes while libretro-mame is, see here:

nothing new:

Thanks ensra

More characters

Hello @r-type can you shed light on this issue, which seems to have come up several times recently?

Its not been in the updater for at least a couple of months. After it got mafe a static core i remember some regression in the mame ui which made the core difficult to use. My android romset is still .174 incase it comes back :slight_smile:

i am not sure why it disappear from buildbot. Recipes are still there in libretro-super. @anon24419061 found that there was a mistake in the url of the recipe and fix it. Btw it build fine “by the hand” the issue is just with buildbot recipe.

For memory mame 2016 is mame 0.174 with ui / aspect regressions fixed. It is also the last mame building fine for Android api19 working on 4 and 5 device. It s why we keep it and create a 2016 core.

1 Like

OK I’ve started an issue in libretro-super: https://github.com/libretro/libretro-super/issues/535