Mame and cd games not loading

Hello, I am new to the forums. I have be trying to setup a new hyperspin install. I’m wanting to use retroarch as the emulator for everything. I’m able to get cartridge based games to work no problem. However if I try to load any mame roms, retroarch just crashes with no message. If I try to run Sega cd or Saturn it crashes with a program has stopped working message. I have tried each of the cores related to these rooms and all give the same result. I am very new at this, I have been following tutorials all day to no avail, so I figured I would start over at the source and focus on getting the emulator working with everything first. Any help is appreciated and I can provide any further info needed.

For MAME, you are almost certainly using the wrong ROMset. You need exactly the ROMset for the version of MAME you’re using. RetroArch has a few MAME cores: MAME2003 = v087, MAME2010 = v0139 and regular MAME-libretro = v0160, IIRC. FBA has its own ROMsets, as well, so if you try to use that core, be sure to find the correct one.

For Sega CD and Saturn, you may be missing BIOS images in your ‘system’ directory. Once you get the BIOS images, you can specify a ‘system’ directory in settings > directory settings.

Will test the Sega bios now. But how do I know what room set I have for mame? And thank you very much for the help.

Do the bios have to be named something specific? I had that issue for the android version and info for it was hard to find. And do I have to specify the location of each individual bios for the core after loading it.?

there are some Windows-only utilities, such as CLRMAME that can tell you, but they’re very hard to use. I recommend just looking at wherever you got them to see if it’s mentioned somewhere.

It’s a pack made for hyperspin, but it doesn’t say what the romset is. Also the Sega cd still won’t read the bios, even if I point it right at the folder.

does anyone have any more info? the sega cd still fails to read its bios. the sega saturn doesnt give me any error but some games just give black screen, cool spot gave me gameplay but the colors or wrong, mostly green. i cant find any tutorial that actually explains how to properly install the bios for anything but the psx. if someone could point me to a decent tutorial that would help to, just anything that can get me going again.

The saturn colors being wrong is a known issue that re-emerged recently. Dunno why the rest of the games are failing.

There’s not much to installing the BIOS images, and you do them all the same: put them in your ‘system’ directory and make sure they’re correct and detected by looking at the core information (it will say which BIOS files it needs and whether it’s finding them or not).

thank you that helped alot, now i know what to name all my bios files.

so for the mame side of things, i finally found some named romsets for it, i have .139u1 and .162. i cant find an emulator in the core list for 162, but the 2010 claims it plays 139. however if i try to load one, retroarch immediately force closes. any ideas what im doing wrong now?

been a bit but does anyone have any further info? there arent any good tutorials for retroarch at all that actually go into how to install and configure the cores, so im not really sure how your supposed to learn this. if there is one around please point me to it. really wanting to make this work, but not being able to find a solid source of info, especially on the forums for retroarch, is pretty frustrating.

For mainline mame you want to follow this: http://www.libretro.com/index.php/mamemessume-cores/