MAME core for macOS

I noticed when i was updating the MAME core for macOS build of RetroArch, it is stuck at .174 I tried getting the source and compiling myself, but ended up with compilation errors. Has anyone managed to get the newest version compiled for macOS?

is there any news about the new mame cores ? like 0.189 windows version has the latest mame core. What about the OS X ? When will you update it ?

Yeah, I just tried to compile my own core with libretro-super, and the compile fails. It seems quite at the end when linking all together. The latest successful MAME compile under Macos has been on 14 November 2016.

Would it make sense to open an issue in https://github.com/libretro/libretro-super - which I understand puts everything together for compiling the cores? I am quite desparately looking for a current MAME core in Retroarch that runs on Macs.

See also this issue here, where I added a note:

Many thanks for your ideas. Here is a very small excerpt from the failing MAME compile:

ld: warning: text-based stub file /System/Library/Frameworks//AudioToolbox.framework/AudioToolbox.tbd and library file /System/Library/Frameworks//AudioToolbox.framework/AudioToolbox are out of sync. Falling back to library file for linking.

Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:

“osd::dynamic_module::open(std::__1::vector<std::__1::basic_string<char, std::__1::char_traits, std::__1::allocator >, std::__1::allocator<std::__1::basic_string<char, std::__1::char_traits, std::__1::allocator > > >&&)”, referenced from: pcap_module::probe() in libosd_retro.a(pcap.o)

ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64

clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

make[3]: *** […/…/…/…/…/mame_libretro.dylib] Error 1

make[2]: *** [mame] Error 2

make[1]: *** [macosx_x64_clang] Error 2

make: *** [build] Error 2

cp “mame_libretro.dylib” “/Users/stefan/Documents/RetroArch/libretro-super-master/dist/osx-x86_64/mame_libretro.dylib”

cp: mame_libretro.dylib: No such file or directory

1 core(s) failed: mame

Same error i am getting. I am not very savvy with programming, so i dont have the skills to debug what is going on just yet, i have been researching and looking around trying to learn what i can. For the time being, I am using SDLMAME standalone for my MAME fix. But missing a lot of the shaders RetroArch has.

Look for BGFX, as described in my blog here:

It does a lot, and good. Still I would love to see MAME in Retroarch as well.

i don’t understand why they don’t update the name core is it impossible or what ?

We now have a MAME v 206 core for MacOS available!

2 Likes