MAME Core Retroarch Crashes when loading Killer Instinct

Before I updated retroarch to the 1.6.7, Killer Instinct worked just fine. I had the correct kinst.zip and kinst.chd in the same folder. I tried that and it goes to the mame initializing screen then retroarch says it stopped working. I tried it with kinst.zip in the rom folder and kinst.chd inside its own folder called kinst and it still did the same thing stopped working. So just to clarify both Roms\kinst.chd kinst.zip didn’t work or Roms\kinst.zip Roms\kinst\kinst.chd didn’t work. I don’t know why. I looked in the forums and it seems other people had the same issue. For some people having the kinst.chd in it’s own folder worked but for me and some others it didn’t. Any help would be much appreciated. Also I have tried the other mame cores and they stop working also.

Which MAME core, and which version of the ROM were you using up until things first stopped working?

The mame core i’ve been using is mame_libretro.dll. As for the version of the rom i’ve been using 0.185 mame version with the 0.185 chd. It works in standalone mame but not retroarch’s main mame core. I also tried the other mame cores as well with the years behind them like 2010 and 2014 but none of the cores work. it just crashes retroarch.

Have you tried your romset and CHD with standalone MAME 0.188? That’s the MAME version that mame_libretro.dll is up to now.

After that step of troubleshooting please add a log that includes the crash, per these instructions: https://docs.libretro.com/guides/troubleshooting-retroarch/

With all of that out of the way hopefully someone here will be able to advise you on the fix.

1 Like

I am a complete idiot lol I literally just tried that. I got a torrent from [EDITED to remove ROMsite name] of the 188 roms and chd’s and replaced them with mine and it worked like a charm. thank so much.

2 Likes