MAME (Current) Wiimote lightgun issues

This might not be the best place for it(the whole forum, not simply this section), but this is where the issue is most prevalent for me, so I might as well start here.

So I’m using a Wiimote/Dolphinbar lightgun setup for my arcade cab, and its working OKAY, but there’s one really niggling problem I need to resolve before I work on mounting the sensor bar.

When the sensor bar is centered relative to the display, the targeting cursor is offset to the left - its about 1/3 of the way in from the left side of the display when pointing straight. I have to move the sensor bar to the side to get it centered, and this causes issues when I need to point near the right side of the screen(Wiimote loses line of sight with the sensor bar and goes crazy).

I’ve seen tips for fixing this in the Dolphin emulator, but the problem is I’m using this in MAME, don’t even have Dolphin installed, and while not quite AS far off, the cursor is still offset in Windows itself.

No idea where to begin about fixing this. Any help that can be provided would be appreciated, even if its just pointing me towards a better place to inquire about this.

1 Like

Are you sure all of your IR LEDs are still working on your Dolphinbar? They are notorious for getting burnt out due to overvoltage.

You can test this using a cellphone camera.

… Holy carp, I have been SO BUSY lately that I COMPLETELY FORGOT I posted this!

Hokay, so, since posting this I found myself in possession of a new unused IR bar that went with one of the Cabela’s games for the XBox360. The bar is battery powered and wireless, but works with the Wiimotes as long as they’re connected through another means - I plan to maintain the dolphinbar to connect the Wiimotes, and mount the wireless unit up front for a cleaner setup.

The wireless bar has the same offset issue, to the same extent as the Dolphinbar. I find it…UNLIKELY I just happened to end up with two devices having the same issue to the same extent. But of course its not impossible.

So… how do I use my cell camera to test the IR on the bars?

1 Like

https://www.reddit.com/r/DolphinEmulator/comments/96ziza/ir_lights_not_working_on_dolphinbar/?sort=new

Thanks. I’ll check that out once I have time(to clean off the control panel) and hopefully won’t get so busy I forget about this again.

1 Like

Testing done. All IR LEDs are working(on both bars).

1 Like

Sooo… I’ve figured out a “solution” to the issue, though I still don’t know why it does this. I tried standing just a couple inches off the side, as if I was playing with a second person, and pointing towards the center of the screen and it lines up perfectly. Doesn’t matter which side I go to. It’s almost as if its designed to be off just enough to induce this on purpose, but I’ve never seen this on an ACTUAL Wii…

1 Like