MAME games to complement FBNeo

That would be great! I think few month ago I tried the ps1 version, from namco museum vol.1, and it does not support dual shock so is not really playable, and in mame playing with analog stick is very twitchy. Having a playable version of pole position would be nice!

Edited the first post with the updated list with links to mame database for required files.

1 Like

At least in mainline MAME Pole Position is not entirely unplayable. I do not remember setting up something specific for this game. At least game can be played with my Xbox One controller. It’s just a little bit too sensitive and twitchy on the stick. The MAME 2003-Plus setup did not work out of the box for me and probably requires something to setup (some buttons). Very odd, because Plus should be the one that is working out of the box. :smiley: I would love this game being added to FB Neo with predefined and fine tuned controls for mainstream controllers, to make it a good experience out of the box.

BTW FB Neo is my first choice for Arcade nowadays too and the only one installed on my Steam Deck. Only my main PC has everything setup.

1 Like

Yes, in mame it is “playable” in the sense that analog controls are working, but if you try to play it you will notice that it controls very different to other similar games (outrun, hang-on…), out-run with analog stick is a very good experience and you can play almost like the “real” thing but pole position is very different.

have a look here:

1 Like
1 Like

Updated the first post, also added another Konami Gx game:

Twinbee Yahoo!

also added a bunch of 2D sega STV games, from a quick check they all seems to run fine, only Guardian force and Cotton 2 (magical night dream) have abysmal input delay 6+ frames :sweat_smile:

Astra Superstar
Guardian force
Groove on Fight: Gouketsuji Ichizoku 3
Shienryu
Golden Axe The Duel
Magical Night Dreams: Cotton 2
Puyo Puyo SUN
Soukyugurentai

also, Soukyugurentai is kinda cheating because it has 3d element in the background…but is such a good game that I had to include it. :nerd_face:

1 Like

I love the Cotton series. Here are a few games mentioned I was not aware off. Looks like time to create a new playlist. :slight_smile: Never played Soukyugurentai / Terra Diver before, looks interesting.

BTW Shienryu hyperlink (in first post) is a https link, thus my Firefox won’t open it. For consistency sake I recommend editing it away, like all other links in the list.

1 Like

Edited the first post and corrected the link!

Also added 2 more Atari System’s games

APB - All Points Bulletin
Super Sprint

Yeah Soukyugurentai is a very nice stg by raizing if you like the genre give it a go! there is also a ps1 (plays well with swanstation) and a saturn port but is nice to play the arcade original!

Also Shienryu is not bad! It has a ps1 port but with many problems (interlacing and what not…) , in mame plays very well with minimal input delay!

While i’m not entirely sure about the current compatibility/accuracy (it has been a long time since i contributed to that project), iirc Kronos is a good alternative for ST-V emulation as far as input lag is concerned.

I tried to load both in Kronos, Cotton 2 and Guardian Force, they load fine, insert coins works but the start button does not work at all, am I missing something? :thinking:

Those 2 are the ones with very high input lag.

1 Like

I tried it with Beetle Saturn and wow the Cotton 2 port on Saturn has truly terrifying input lag. Even the Steam version (it’s just emulated I guess) has huge lag. There are patches from users who try to reduce it. In my research I even read Cotton Guardian Force on Saturn has 11 frames of lag? Wow. Even turn based RPGs would feel sluggish :smiley: (obviously I’m joking)

This is one of those rare cases where I would use input latency reduction in RetroArch, but to be effective it needs lot of frames! With RetroArch pause technique I counted 6 or 7 frames of lag. But the emulation is hyper taxing on my system and I can only reduce 1 or 2 frames at max.

Why is it suggested that Kronos has better input latency for this game? I wonder how much latency the original game port has and if at least the emulation with Beetle Saturn is at least on part with it.

These don’t seem to be in FBNeo:

I, Robot

Crowns Golf series

Brute Force (leland driver)

Winning Run & Cybersled (Namco 21)

Namco 22 could also be worth a try, I remember trying Ace Driver.

The Crystal of Kings

PGM2 titles

2 Likes

I, Robot” is a significant game in history! Nice findings.

1 Like

How about 720, Buggy Boy, Fantastic Journey, Gradius IV, Radikal Bikers, Star Blade, Star Castle and Strider 2

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Jamirus, @Graham

Thanks for your suggestions! I just updated the first post!

I, Robot & Star Castle are great picks!

Just a reminder, for this particular thread I was thinking to stick with 2D games! Maybe we can do another with 3d games, the thing is that including 3d games the list will be very large :sweat_smile:

Fantastic Journey ( Gokujou Parodius) and Gradius IV were already in the list!

1 Like

Because a few years ago, i did some test on Soukyugurentai, and the input lag on Kronos was 3-4 frames while MAME had 7-8 (i don’t remember precisely).

@Hari-82 i haven’t participated in that project for a long time, maybe there was a regression ?

Not sure, maybe something wrong with my config/set up, but I can’t start the game because the start button does not work, both p1 and p2 can insert credits with select (I have a controller + arcade stick) but neither can push start :thinking:

I used the MAME roms from the latest set maybe it expects some other version?

@thingsiplay did you try to load STV roms with Kronos? any luck?

Not yet. I don’t have Kronos installed and need to set it up first (its a quick process BTW). Beetle Saturn is the only Saturn core I have at the moment. I’ll let you know when trying Kronos (today or this weekend).

Update:

@Hari-82 I could not wait any longer and tried Kronos. Same issue as you, not able to use Start with my Buffalo and Xbox gamepads (arcade stick no longer in use, so not tested with that). I’ve created a new thread for this issue: Kronos Start button key not working with ST-V game (Linux PC)

1 Like

Once I made the switch to FBNeo I kept about 30 mame only roms and tagged them “Mame Only” (It’s not hard to keep a custom db/plist with a few entries). Maybe this is not 100% accurate in which case maybe I can further trim down this list, ha.

Many already mentioned, but anyway:

2 Likes

Thanks for contributing! Just updated the first post!

2 Likes

I created a playlist from this list: MAME - Complement FBNeo.lpl

The only problem is, its useless for others, because it includes my file paths. But it’s probably not the right place to post it here. So things don’t get mixed up. I find the custom playlists from other users very interesting.

3 Likes