Mame git 181 discussion

What MAME version would mame-old be?

in your github account , we move mame (0.174) and we rename it mame-old if you decide to keep another mame core (0.174) change name to mame2016-libretro

Ok I finally got an android 4.4.4 device to test.

the main android difference between 0.174 in toolchain.lua is default androidPlatform

local androidPlatform = "android-14" for 0.174

and

local androidPlatform = "android-21" for 0.181

So they raise the minimum platform requirement to 21

I have tried to build an mametiny with changing to local androidPlatform = android-19 but then failed to build at 3rdparty/asio/include/asio/detail/impl/posix_event.ipp

changing here

#if !(defined(__ANDROID__) && defined(HAVE_PTHREAD_COND_TIMEDWAIT_MONOTONIC))
  int error = ::pthread_condattr_setclock(&attr, CLOCK_MONOTONIC);
#else
  int error = 0;
#endif

fix the error and i was able to launch the mametiny core in a kitkat device. and on a lollipop device. and then playing wrally. on both device

But itā€™s a quick bad hack . not sure that I will commit this into the main repository.

patch here: http://pastebin.com/5YkzYQk1

test tiny core here: dl.free.fr/vKK8H5XZQ

R-type, another user Radunastase replied to my other topic and he had a backup of both MAME 0.158 (2014) AND MAME 0.174 (2016)!!! Iā€™ve downloaded and tested both of them and they are working fine here. If you want these cores to make them available in the repository, go to the link below:

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/49bce60753bd4c770688982bc15ba4bc20170119195340/448a89

Do you know what are the main differences between android-19 and android-21 toolchains? If the differences are not very significant, maybe itā€™s better to stay with 19, which seems to be more compatibleā€¦

Iā€™ll test your tinymame core here too and post the results later. Thanks!!

Thanks but i really donā€™t need these cores :slight_smile:

For repository , as stated before admins will choose if they want another mame coreā€¦

For api 19 to api 21, many things change like pthread stuff some libc functions like atof rand that are now only defineā€¦

The hack i did will work but will not be viable in time If mainstream (mamdev) had switch to api 21. They will add more incompatibles stuff in time like the pthread code stated above. And we will have hack each time like i did even on the 3dparty src and that is a bad thing. It is mainstream that decide to break pre lollipop device support raising to api 21. So i think as we just do a shallow core with this mame core, we dont have to hack more than necessary to support this core. If users want mame compat with pre lollipop they have to deal with upstream to ask support for.

That said. I think it is not a bad idea to leave a mame 0.174 for android user as it support fully pre lollipop device.

What do you think about all this @twinaphex?

So whatā€™s the buttons to bring up the MAME OSD now?

@badhemi you managed it but didnā€™t say how :slight_smile:

I had a go but could get it up

customize_input_type_list : add combo for UI menu and Cancel Select + X => UI_CONFIGURE (Menu) Select + Start => CANCEL

Read all the above I donā€™t want to repeat for ever the same things.

1 Like

Thanks I didnā€™t realise it was in the GitHub issue link.

for the record, We re-add the 0.174 with name mame2016 , available in updater, it should work on pre-lollipop device as before ,and it have correct aspect and font rendering .

Thanks for your support r-type, great news!! And Iā€™m very happy that you guys fixed the OSD font rendering because it was barely readable before. Iā€™m going to update my core later today :grin:

Thanks rtype. Hey is there anyway to get separate mame configā€™s for 181 and 174? I use boot to BIOS on some systems and when I change the options on 174 it changes it on 181. Thanks again

Yes i forgot this one ! I will push fix .

Awesome thank you very much

Pushed. core options are now mame2016 and not mame. Have to wait buildbot update this core.

Well, after updating my GPD XD KitKat 4.4.4 with this latest 2016 core to test last night, it still doesnā€™t work. Iā€™ve generated another LOG file, please see if itā€™s something easy to fix this timeā€¦

rcoltrane.50webs.com/Log_2017-01-24_17-58-04.txt

One observation: The updater was having trouble connecting and failed to update it from within Retroarch, so I downloaded the core from the nightlies webpage and pasted it straight into the data/data/com.Retroarch/cores folder.

Error(s): dlopen failed: library ā€œ/data/data/com.retroarch/cores/mame2016_libretro_android.soā€ not found that can be a problem :slight_smile: more seriously , i add this problem when , i had to update core info before update core .

r-type, I did another test today at lunch and this time it worked!! The difference is that I successfully updated the core through the Retroarch core updater and itā€™s working fine now.

However, I noticed another thing: I tried to play a game which had all the game buttons previously mapped (from the previous 0.174 core I was using) and the buttons were not working anymore. So I entered the button configuration menu in the MAME OSD and, to my surprise, all the buttons were ā€˜emptyā€™, with absolutely nothing in front of the keys. Only the 1st button had a key assigned to it and all the rest was plain empty. I tried to map the buttons again but the OSD wasnā€™t displaying them on the screen after the button is pressed, and when I tried to play the game after mapping all the keys, only the 1st button worked. Weirdā€¦

The Menu fonts are better this time, easily readable and the 4:3 aspect ratio is working fine! Congratulations :smiley:

For configuration honestly I don"t know, but mame2016 is the same core (core option naming) than mame0.174 mame -> mame2016. have you enable read/write conf core opt?

Hey @rcoltrane Iā€™ve been considering setting up a repository of older compiled cores that are known to work well. Iā€™m still not sure thatā€™s something I want to try, but just to see how that might be structured I did ā€˜archiveā€™ these two mame cores here: https://github.com/markwkidd/libretro-core-archive