mame help

how to I get mame games to work with the core. I have a zipped pac man file put I cant get it to work, anything I can do?

You need ROMs that exactly match the version of the MAME core you’re trying to use. You can’t just download a random game from the internet and expect it to work on any of the MAME cores.

ok, but I tried all three mame cores and got nothing, the regular mame didn’t run the game just showed the quick menu with nothing on it and trying the ones with years after them just crashed the game. what do I do

Pacman requires the parent ROM, puckman.zip, to also be in your ROM folder.

So I need pacman and Puckman in file for pacman to work?

there are literally 100s of mame romset versions, and you’ve tried a random game from one of those sets, on mame emulators for 3 of those specific sets. seems unlikely it would work.

pick a mame emulator and find the correct set. eg mame2003 is mame romset 0.78.

and yeah you need puckman.zip in your roms folder for pacman.zip (unless you have a non-merged set)

welcome to the super cock-a-MAME-y world of Rom sets, Parent Roms, and Bios Files. I got mine to work perfect… (=

Yep. Or look up exactly what files pacman.zip needs from puckman.zip and copy them into pacman.zip if you want something cleaner.