MAME Joypad R1 button always toggles MAME menu

I have been trying to configure my joypads on two different Windows PCs to use the MAME core. Unfortunately, depending on the kind of joypad that I have connected, two of the buttons always seem to be locked into performing some of the MAME interface functions.

For example, when I use my classic SNES joypads, on controller 0 the L1 button always toggles the MAME menu (as if I had pressed the TAB key) and the R1 button always toggles the framerate display (as if I had pressed the F11 key).

With my Logitech Rumblepad 2 Wireless joypads, it is buttons L2 and R2 that seem to function this way.

I am guessing that this is something to do with the way the RetroPad maps to MAME functions, but I do not know how to change it so that the L1 (or L2) and R1 (or R2) buttons don’t function like TAB and F11 in MAME.

Is there anything I can do?

Open the MAME menu, go into Input (general), then User Interface, and change the mapping for Config Menu and Show FPS. You can map keys, RetroPad inputs, or both. You can also press the delete key when hovering over a mapping to clear it.

I currently experience the same issue (bug), using MAME 2014 and MAME cores. When I map inputs in MAME menu, presses on L2 or R2 result in mapping the selected MAME button to TAB or F11. It must be hardcoded in the core, since there is no such behavior in standalone MAME. I think it should be reported as a bug.

On a side note, I did not have any issue using my classic iBuffalo SNES controller. L1 and R1 presses are registered as L and R in MAME.

As noted above by Awakened, for people really wanting to use more than 6 buttons, it is still possible to remap Config Menu and Show FPS to other keys, so that TAB and F11 are only assigned to button presses and there is no more conflict.