Mame/Mess Core 0.174 can´t find Roms

Im trying to get Mess working on RetroArch 1.3.4 X64 Stable/Night builds and know many will link me to the Wiki. i already been through all this and used +10 hours on getting it working,

i use Win10 pro 64+Nvidia Titan X + Mame Core 0.174 Check the CRC on both ROMs and Bios. my first attempts have been to get Intellivision and Atari 5200 working, but only got A5200 working on android

I both have an Nvidia Shield TV and PC so i though about getting Mess working on PC first and than moving over to Android to make sure the folder structure at files where correct. i have been trough all forums and youtube videos, but can still not get a single mess emu working on pc. from the debug is missing a a5200 rom for the atari 5200, i can see my game rom is identified from the HASH files. after many hours i tried to replicate my setup to my Shield, and keep the same folder structure. and from here my A5200 game started.

what i found out so far, is that i think it could be something with the System/Bios Directory not pointing the correct place, im not able to change it on PC, but android works when pointing it to System, that already should have been the default folder. but don´t work without i change it manually on android. After that is said, Android don´t save this System/Bios Directory

hope somebody can point me in the right direction on what wrong with my PC version.

I can understand from other posts, maybe the core can be faulty or an older one could be better. or could the retroarch i tried just be broken?

You should use the previous 0.170 core here: http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5943&p=40173&viewfull=1#post40173 Current one is not really functional.

Then Mame wants its machines folders to be named in a strict way, perhaps that’s your problem? All the folders can be changed in Settings->Directory in Retroarch.

I tried the 170 core but still get the same result

Debug Log RetroArch [libretro INFO] :: Starting game:T:\Emulators\Retroarch\system\mess\a5200\Choplift.bin RetroArch [libretro DEBUG] :: Path extraction result: File name=T:\Emulators\Retroarch\system\mess\a5200\Choplift.bin RetroArch [libretro DEBUG] :: Path extraction result: Game name=Choplift RetroArch [libretro DEBUG] :: Path extraction result: System name=a5200 RetroArch [libretro DEBUG] :: Path extraction result: Game path=T:\Emulators\Retroarch\system\mess\a5200 RetroArch [libretro DEBUG] :: Path extraction result: Parent path=T:\Emulators\Retroarch\system\mess RetroArch [libretro DEBUG] :: Searching for driver Choplift RetroArch [libretro DEBUG] :: System type: ARCADE RetroArch [libretro INFO] :: Game name: choplift, Game description: Choplifter (8751 315-5151) RetroArch [libretro ERROR] :: System not found: a5200 RetroArch [libretro DEBUG] :: Searching for driver a5200 RetroArch [libretro DEBUG] :: System type: CONSOLE RetroArch [libretro INFO] :: Game name: a5200, Game description: Atari 5200 RetroArch [libretro INFO] :: Creating frontend for game: Choplift

Folder Structure T:\Emulators\Retroarch\system\mess T:\Emulators\Retroarch\system\mess\a5200.zip T:\Emulators\Retroarch\system\mess\hash T:\Emulators\Retroarch\system\mess\a5200 T:\Emulators\Retroarch\system\mess\a5200\a5200.zip T:\Emulators\Retroarch\system\mess\a5200\Choplift.bin

ROM Info 4248D3E3 5200.rom 9AD53BBC Choplift.bin

HASH Value <rom name=“choplift.bin” size=“16384” crc=“9ad53bbc” sha1=“9f1ee191319ef0261cc7074a81c0e6d6b7464cd2” offset=“0” />

I just tried version Retroarch 1.2.2

and got this error

SOURCE FILE: …/…/…/…/…/src/mame/drivers/atari400.cpp PARENT: 0 NAME: a5200 DESCRIPTION: Atari 5200 YEAR: 1982 MANUFACTURER: Atari Value not supported for option netdevprovider - falling back to auto choplift.bin NOT FOUND (tried in a5200 a5200\choplift choplift) Fatal error: Required files are missing, the machine cannot be run.

[QUOTE=Mock;41025]I just tried version Retroarch 1.2.2

and got this error

SOURCE FILE: …/…/…/…/…/src/mame/drivers/atari400.cpp PARENT: 0 NAME: a5200 DESCRIPTION: Atari 5200 YEAR: 1982 MANUFACTURER: Atari Value not supported for option netdevprovider - falling back to auto choplift.bin NOT FOUND (tried in a5200 a5200\choplift choplift) Fatal error: Required files are missing, the machine cannot be run.[/QUOTE]

after narrowing it down i got it working with this structure, the issue was that the rom file was not zipped. It also worked out with Core 0.174, i don´t know why android just loaded the bin file

T:\Emulators\Retroarchold\system\mame T:\Emulators\Retroarchold\system\mame\hash T:\Emulators\Retroarchold\system\mame\a5200 T:\Emulators\Retroarchold\system\mame\a5200\a5200.zip T:\Emulators\Retroarchold\system\mame\a5200\choplift.zip

[QUOTE=Mock;41025]I just tried version Retroarch 1.2.2

and got this error

SOURCE FILE: …/…/…/…/…/src/mame/drivers/atari400.cpp PARENT: 0 NAME: a5200 DESCRIPTION: Atari 5200 YEAR: 1982 MANUFACTURER: Atari Value not supported for option netdevprovider - falling back to auto choplift.bin NOT FOUND (tried in a5200 a5200\choplift choplift) Fatal error: Required files are missing, the machine cannot be run.[/QUOTE]

after narrowing it down i got it working with this structure, the issue was that the rom file was not zipped. It also worked out with Core 0.174, i don´t know why android just loaded the bin file

T:\Emulators\Retroarchold\system\mame T:\Emulators\Retroarchold\system\mame\hash T:\Emulators\Retroarchold\system\mame\a5200 T:\Emulators\Retroarchold\system\mame\a5200\a5200.zip T:\Emulators\Retroarchold\system\mame\a5200\choplift.zip

There seems to be another issue, when trying the same thing with 1.3.4 it just returns to the menu, but have found out if i copy the config from my working 1.2.2 i can also get RA 1.3.4 to work, now i will try to investigate on what settings that has the impact

The issue in retroarch.cfg is that System Directory has the wrong path

RA 1.3.4 = system_directory = “default” Non-working

RA 1.2.2 = system_directory = “:\system” Working