Mame Netplay makes controls not work

I tried to play an Snes game online using Retroarch’s netplay using Hamachi. it worked fine, it was a lot better than kaillera. But then I tried to play a mame game, Metal Slug. As soon as the netplay turns on, all the controls stop working. What’s even weirder if that if ‘’ use player 1 binds as netplay client’’ is enabled, all the buttons do all kinds of other things with the menus, like loading savestates or turning on frameskip, on both the client and the host.

Windows 7 64 bit, Version: RetroArch-v1.0.0.2 64 bit. game: Metal Slug.

the MAME core doesn’t support netplay

Aah, but my LAN seemed to be working otherwise, strange that it did. I did eventually manage to get both characters on the screen with seperate controls on both instances. If LAN works, than wouldn’t Hamachi also work? Or does not supported just mean that it works, but just very poorly?

By the way, is there a Mame netplay alternative that works as well as Retroarch’s netplay? There was little to no input lag and all it did was stutter a bit (occasionally), but it worked fine.

FBA works with netplay for at least some of the drivers. I would recommend trying it first.

I don’t think supporting serialization in MAME would be trivial

Again, some of FBA’s drivers have proper serialization, so netplay works well with them. I know CPS1/2/3 are included, don’t know about neogeo, but it seems pretty likely.

If that’s the case, I could just use FBA. Thing is,I had trouble getting roms to work with it. I know a website that updated all of it’s roms to the latest mame, but that doesn’t seem to always work with FBA.

Yeah, just google for fba roms. There’s a french(?) site that has them all, IIRC. They’re just older mame roms, usually around 1.42 or so…?