MAME/Retroarch bezel/overlays tool

yes nice – I will try that for any problematic bezels.

both puckman and mspacman worked out perfectly.

I tried another (Tetris) and it worked but the screen size wasn’t quite right, it may well be the original bezel but maybe you’d like to test it, link below.

https://mrdo.mameworld.info/artwork/atetris.zip

1 Like

I tried this generate action, it worked nicely. Thanks again

2 Likes

I finally got a PR up to add the win64 build to the online updater. Sorry it took so long :slight_smile:

I’ve read the documentation but I can’t seem to find an answer to this question, does this tool support converting MAME .lay files into Retroarch .cfg format? I only see MAME .cfg files mentioned.

New release that fixes a bug when the MAME LAY file doesn’t have the expected order of bezels.

Releases · cosmo0/mame-retroarch-bezel-converter (github.com)

@tekn0: you can indeed convert MAME .lay to RA .cfg, it’s the reason I created this tool :slight_smile:

bezel-tools mtr --source path/to/mame/zips --output-roms output/roms --output-overlays output/overlay --template-game templates/game.cfg --template-overlay templates/overlay.cfg

1 Like

I’ve been searching through various topics on the forum about using the MAME .lay bezel collection as overlays in RA, and then this topic popped up. What I’m trying to do is quickly add a bezel to each game, like I can with the standalone MAME core. What I want to avoid is having to individually add overlays for a couple thousand games. Can this be done in RA? Will converting the .lay files with this tool help me do that? Has anyone already converted the “official” MAME .lay files and made them available somewhere?

I’m really hoping there is an easy way to get this set up, as this has been the main thing holding me back from using RA MAME instead of standalone MAME.

Thanks for the help, everyone. :slight_smile:

@Drybonz This tool will convert your MAME .lay bezels to RA .cfg files. Just point it to your MAME bezels folder, and it will extract and convert all of them, but there is a caveat: the RA overlays are much more basic than MAME bezels, so you won’t have all the features. Basically this tool just takes the background layer, so it might not be enough for your needs, depending on your files.

That being said, I think that the latest RA versions can use MAME bezels, but I’m not sure.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I have been trying to find some solid info on how to load the MAME bezels so that it automatically matches each bezel to each game, without having to do it for each game individually.

Can I assume you tried the obvious and put game named layouts in your layout folder? I have never tried using layouts in RA but I would assume it works.

Yeah, it just displays your normally selected overlay, or if you turn that off, no overlay.

New version: now with a GUI (Windows only).

Release MAME / Retroarch bezel / overlays tool v4.0 · cosmo0/mame-retroarch-bezel-converter (github.com)

6 Likes