Manual Save File Transfer from Linux to Windows 10 RetroArch

Hello,

Though I used RetroArch all the time on my old Mint/Windows 10 dual-boot config, I sadly had to part (pun intended) with that arrangement due to various extenuating circumstances. As such, I missed RetroArch on my post-brick Windows rig, and therefore decided to install the Windows version of the software, in hopes that I would be able to transfer over my .srm files and continue on my merry way.

Unfortunately, though the files are in the right place (I’ve tried both the RetroArch/saves folder, and creating a RetroArch/cores/savefiles folder), and although the filenames are exactly the same as their respective ISOs, the Windows version of RetroArch refuses to detect them.

I have heard that, in the past, individuals who used a dual-boot config ran into this problem due to the inherently-different file system methods used by Linux and Windows, but does that truly apply to a generic filetype like .srm? I ask because the only similar questions I can see, either on this forum or elsewhere, ask more about syncing files between both OSs simultaneously, as opposed to transferring them manually.

Are there any other alternative things to test that haven’t occurred to me yet? In the worst-case scenario, is there any way of changing these .srm files in such a way as to make them intelligible to Windows? Is there even a means by which I might ascertain whether or not this is indeed the cause of the problem?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

It should be fine. I go back and forth all the time.

It should be fine. I go back and forth all the time.

Yes, but that’s the issue; it should work, but it doesn’t lol. I’ve already tried a few times, a few different ways, but no dice. Not sure what’s going wrong with my approach thus far, but I appreciate your comment regardless, since it implies that this should be possible. Is there any advice you can suggest in particular, troubleshooting-wise?

Bit of an update:

• Tried to make a new save file in one of my games, hoping that I could then overwrite it with my old .srm and have it work;
  • Thus, I pasted the old .srm into the location where the new one was located;
  • This appeared to work, until I executed the game, at which point the old .srm was re-overwritten by the new one, which shouldn’t even exist at this point, since I overwrote it with the old one;
  • Noticing that .lrtc files located in playlists/logs might have something to do with it, I decide to overwrite the .lrtc for the game with my old .srm, which I accordingly rename as a .lrtc
  • For some reason, this doesn’t immediately crash the emulator, instead actually running… but again, the same problem occurs, where the new .srm overwrites. Not only that, but a new .lrtc automatically overwrites the fake one I created (which I guess is a good thing, but whatever)

What I want to know is, where is it getting the new .srm from if I’ve already overwritten it with an old one? Wherever it keeps it, THAT’S probably the location into which I must copy my old .srm, to prevent this from happening, right?

Does anyone have any ideas? I’ve tried fiddling with the files in any way of which I can think, but nothing seems to work. Is it a hardware issue for some reason?

Even just random longshots would be appreciated.

The only thing I am aware of that will affect the saves is the emulator version. You may be running 2.1 (for instance) on your PC and the core is based off 2.3 or something.

The only thing I am aware of that will affect the saves is the emulator version. You may be running 2.1 (for instance) on your PC and the core is based off 2.3 or something.

I see! That might explain it, actually, since the newest (stable) Windows version is 1.9.0. If I understand correctly, then, the only options going forward would be either to downgrade my cores somehow, or else just create new files and play from scratch, right? Is there any way to downgrade, and figure out to which version I have to downgrade?

I’m also assuming that I have to use the same core as I did on Linux (e.g., Rearmed instead of Beetle). But is this actually the case? Would I be better off trying a different core, just in case? Or is it more a discrepancy between the release versions of Linux vs. Windows RetroArch?

Failing that, I at least have something to go on now as to why this is happening. Much appreciated, Sloth!