Many cores duddenly stopped, MAME and SNES related?

Hi

As this great archive project draws to a close, I have suddenly run into a haunted LaunchBox and RA setup. I cannot remember anything being changed, but all MAME/FBA/UME and SNES cores no longer work in RetroArch. When I launch a game, it just shows a black screen. When I hit the home button on my XBox pad, the RA interface appears and the black viewport glitches in the background. It just looks like random garbage static on black, no movement. I can still ESC to exit any of the frozen RA cores OK. So weird. All other RA cores and external emulators function fine, including much more demanding ones. It’s like some common code broke which affects something used by all these “arcade” and SNES RA cores?

I have updated to the latest dev build of RA and redowloaded all cores into this fresh install. Same problems, maybe even worse as snes9x core now also freezes the same way. I also re-installed directX using the link on the RA download page.

What could I be missing here? I will be your best pal if you can shed insight.

Cheers

If you roll back to an older RetroArch (1.3.6, for example) does that change the behavior at all? Does it matter if you have shaders on/off? Does sound continue playing?

I will test more soon, but I can say that there is no sound at all. None of the logos/bios/etc. ever show, all cores freeze before they even load the game it seems. Just a black screen until I open the RA overlay and then the balck screen gets some white garbage on it. It stays like that until I ESC to quit. The correct core name is shown, and RA is not frozen. Hmm…

I did disable the blur filter inside RA, that is very un-gucci to me. I will look at any other filter/overlay settings. Just weird that the same problem also happens when I start my old install of RA (v1.3.3). It’s like something changed in my system.

And I was so stoked because I just figured out Amiga LHA loading : ]

I guess I’ll be patient and maybe the gremlins will work tonight while I sleep…

Here’s what every core does when I press the RA button to show the GUI. RA does not freeze, but the core’s black screen glitches. I can still press ESC to exit just fine. Again, it’s MAME/FBA/UME/Mednafen SNES and that seems to be the main problem area.